550 Errors

User 176356 Photo

3 posts

Does anyone know how to overcome 550 FTP errors? For me, uploads are often hit and miss........and when they "miss" it becomes impossible to transfer files. Some connections work better than others, but that's hit and miss too......and sometimes after numerous fails the thing'll click in and the rest are completed. Any ideas?
User 176356 Photo

3 posts

Crazy...........just tried again......same exact connect as the one before......and this file gets transfered. Go figure.
User 1915191 Photo

3 posts

I've had the same problem so many times until i'm about to give up on this software. Trying to find something else to use.
User 3004957 Photo

851 posts

Try setting the transfer type to PASV in the options; many servers are far more amenable with this setting. I have over a dozen different servers and the software works well on all of them.

550 errors are permissions errors and this happens when trying to write to files or transfer files onto a server that doesn't have you set up as a user. Some folders, like the cgi-bin folder, are very protected as they are known gateways into the server and can be exploited by scripts and other nasties.

If you are getting 550 errors either the server is not set up properly or you are transferring files into areas that might be read only and if you get these errors with DirectFTP, you will get the same error with any other FTP software as none can magically skirt around server folder permissions.

Try right-clicking on the remote folder (or file if you are trying to overwrite it) and check permissions; if they are not set to 'write' then you won't have much luck. Try changing them all to 'write' and try again; it should work. Remember to set them back to what they were; permissions are set for a reason and I'm sure you don't want to be the one who lets the hacker in who trashes your server.

Dave.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.