VisualSite Designer error window...

User 104846 Photo

Ambassador
13 posts

Hmmm....I think I am not explaining this properly. I am not
exactly a tech whiz!

My problem is with my VisualSite Designer. I will start at the beginning. Been using VSD for about 3 years. (LOVE it.
best wysiwyg software around IMHO) My homepage is done with it, did a
galpal's page with it (www.pegevents.com) and now another gal pal has me doing her site. While doing her site I was on page 8 or so and wanted to see how everything looked. So I clicked on Preview (the big eyeball button). Then a little error window came up called " Homepage creator" with "Access to unnamed file Denied". Then I click OK and it dissappears, but will not allow me to see a preview. I then get out of there and try open other homepages (my own, old back up pages, my other friend's page) and ALL *.vnu files that I open and attempt to preview give me the same little window and will not preview the page. This just happened as far as I can tell out of the blue. The only vague connection I could find is that I was working on a gallery at the same time. The problem tho is not with the gallery, it is
with the VSD program.

I cannot see if it will download to any site other than the one for my other friend's business or my own. The page I was working on has no 'home' yet until the page is completed. Then it will be downloaded to the new site and the old site will be deleted. So I can't even test the darn thing but I don't think testing is an issue anyways as it's a building problem, not a downloading issue.

Thanks so much for your help and sorry for the long winded explanation!!!! But I hope I am now a bit clearer.

Very best regards,

Kim
Hasina Mehndi & Body Art
ICNHA Certified Artist
http://www.winnipeghenna.com

When only the very best is good enough for your event!
User 8660 Photo

858 posts

Just a long shot, have you tried to download the latest version and re install, perhaps you have a corrupt file somewhere. Did you save the file before you try to preview it? I did see your post and tried to repeat your problem without success.
Alfred
User 138229 Photo

1 post

As a matter of fact, I HAVE just purchased the whole package so I could start to play with firestarter and other programs! I may have tried to install again it when downloading the other software and installing those programs. If I delete the .exe of VSD, I shouldn't loose any of my pages would I?? The new installation should look for my past *.vnu files, correct? (If I seem a bit jumpy/hesitant, I am! that's a butt load of work to lose!)

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going wacky over here!

Kim
User 8660 Photo

858 posts

Your vnu files should be fine. I would uninstall and than re install using Windows Add and Remove Dialog, don't delete any files or folders manually.
Alfred
User 20197 Photo

198 posts

Hello,

Here is what we will do. Send us your VNU file as well as everything you placed in that webpage, like images, in a zip file. We will then open it here and see if we can determine why this is happening.

Use the contact form to send us the e-mail and we will take a look at the file and get back to you.
Clint Armstrong
CoffeeCup Software
You've got questions, I've got the answers. It is a perfect match.
User 0 Photo

0 posts

I have the same problem. What I noticed: it happened when I did change manually a name of file in Link Inspector, Document window. Funny thing is that the file did exist. Now I'm stuck with finished website, but with no chance to post it to the web.

Now I'm also unable to preview empty template from the software...

Uninstall/reinstall even System Restore does not help...
User 0 Photo

0 posts

Ok, I found the reason. The problem lies in temporary files. There are 4 locations they may exist:
1. WinXP - Documents and Settings/%user%/Local Settings/Temp
2/3. Win9x - Temp or Windows/Temp
4. Folder that you have exported the website

YOU NEED TO DELETE ALL FILES WITHIN:
My_Homepage_Export (export folder) or My_Homepage_Preview (temp folder)

Any extra addition to the folder (file or folder) causes program to show that stupid message.

Now you can enjoy your work.

Happy New Year 2u2.

Regards,
Rosi
User 0 Photo

0 posts

Sorry for delay. I'm on vacation.

Actually I'm used to keep my extra files in separate folder and remove it anytime I want to run Preview. Anyway I use the Export feature and when I want to preview my page and test it, I do the following:
1. Create the Export of my website
2. Copy the folder 'Download' into the '%Export folder%My_Website_Export'
3. Run the 'index.html' in the 'My_Website_Export'

4. ALWAYS when you want to create new export, you HAVE TO remove extra added folder from the 'My_Website_Export'.

I know that it is very inconvenient, but that's the only way that it works without problems.

I think the software should have also feature to copy all files related to the website by itself, not to crash when you do it manually.

Regards,
Rosi

BTW. Anyone from CC crew listening to that conversation???
User 176444 Photo

1 post

I had the same problem. I created a new folder on my desktop and exported to it and solved the problem.
If you love your freedoms, thank a veteran!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.