Trouble with document links after...

User 2127500 Photo

7 posts

I made some changes to my site and afterward I can no longer get the pdf documents to link. I have deleted and started again, and the documents will not even preview now. Can anyone help? Thanks!

www.dalehollowemmaus.org
User 1861272 Photo

339 posts

Donna,
Did you move the files after you added them to the site? If you link a .pdf file from your desktop, then move the file to a folder, the program can't find it.
A tip I use on VSD, after saving the page I always go back and link the .pdf to the CC VSD file. The .pdf's files should be in your sites file folder under download. Linking the file this way will make it search for the file in the download folder.
Good Luck-
Tim
User 2127500 Photo

7 posts

Yes, it definitely can't find the files. They are coming up "about:blank" or just a list of files. The files are linked from the CC VSD file (located on my desktop). Can you look at the file path and tell me what might be wrong?
C:\Users\Butler Family\Desktop\DHECC Website-v6_website\files\Download\Pilgrim Application for Walk to Emmaus[1].pdf

I have actually moved it and tried several different things.....
Thanks so much for your help.
User 98235 Photo

55 posts

This happens to me routinely. Manually copy/save your .PDF files to the "download" folder in the VSD Folder when you assign a link to a document BEFORE you upload. If you assign a link to a document that is in a remote folder it won't necessarily get uploaded properly to the website.

As a matter of assurance check your "download" folder BEFORE you upload using the internal FTP. As a rule I usually do most uploading using a remote FTP application anyway so I can see what is actually happening in the server directory.

It is also a good idea to clean up your VSD files occasionally because after several updates you begin accumulating unnecessary files and fragments that are archived in the VSD folder. The same with your website directory - remove all unnecessary files and folders BEFORE you upload your new data.
Redmond, OR - the High Desert
User 2127500 Photo

7 posts

Ok, I tried that. It keeps going to vsd_tempdir now...it still won't bring up the pdf files. Any idea why? I'm still working on the clean up, though. Thanks so much for your help and patience :)
User 2133485 Photo

2 posts

This happens to me occationally, even I relink it again, sometimes it is ok and sometimes it isn't work properly.
I find html code like this

href="files/Download/"

no file name is listed inside the html code, the path is created not correctly!

User 1861272 Photo

339 posts

Donna-

Yes, this is the wrong link to open a .pdf file from your server. This link points to your personal desktop file location.

C:\Users\Butler Family\Desktop\DHECC Website-v6_website\files\Download\Pilgrim Application for Walk to Emmaus[1].pdf

The link should come from your website name, CC VSD Download file, something like this:

http://www.stbonifaceschool.net/files/D … ts1011.pdf

I think all you need to do is add the .pdf file to the page where you want it. Save the page. Then go back and highlight the file link, but now link it to your site, wherever you have it on your computer. In the CC VSD files section, double click on Files to open. There should be a folder in there named Download. The .pdf file will be in there, link to it then save the page again. After you upload to your server again it should work.

Good Luck-
Tim

User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

HI,
usually when you link to a document on your hard drive correctly, VSD will make a copy of it in the Download folder and set the link accordingly. and NOT point to the hard drive, but it does sometimes take a break from the norm. I would try re-doing the link

User 2133485 Photo

2 posts

Hi,

I have reported this problem to their official staff, and send my files to them, they are solving, we just wait........

Vincent
User 2972096 Photo

19 posts

I have a similar problem. I have some jpg files that are shown on the web page. Each graphic is linked to the full-size version so that users can see the picture full size. The link within VSD is to the full size graphic on my hard drive. VSD creates a small size version for the web page and puts the full size version in files/Download on my hard drive. However, the html document doesn't show a filename for linkage but just files/Download. Note that this is not consistent. I do have one page where the graphic is retrievable and in this case the html shows files/Download/filename. I checked with the web site. It too has a files/Download folder, and the requisite files are in it. The problem seems to be in the html that is created, whereby it is leaving out the filename for each entry. In other respects the files are being found and downloaded to the website. Thoughts. It is irritating.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.