Post your website here! - Post ID 136519

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Sylvia
In the links section of your web site (which I found to be incredibly interesting and awe-inspiring) you said something which is very significant and which we should all bear in mind...
Before I start touring anywhere I turn to the internet for
information. Listed below are some of my favorite blogs and
websites. Often I have used blogs to help decide where to go next
or what gear to buy. There is a ton of great information about
travel and bike touring on the internet.

Obviously your comment revolves around your own particular interest, but it should be a sound reminder to those of us who build sites that we have a certain responsibility towards potential users who are looking for information and authoritative responsible answers to their questions. Your own health situation is also a reminder that not everyone (yours is a luckier case) can use the computer hardware in exactly the same way and so should be able, as far as possible, to have alternatives which allow them to enjoy what internet has to offer in the same way as any able bodied user.

Thanks for bringing your unusual experiences in here to share.
:)
User 467042 Photo

19 posts

I'm no expert which is why I love VSD

Here is my site, would love any feedback

moveclinics.com

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Well for someone who is not an expert you have certainly put together a very professional looking site!
I just wonder if you should make some of the light grey text a little darker to get a bit more contrast in there against the light background.

Nice work indeed.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Very nice site rix, I would also agree with Janys that a little darker gray on the text would be more readable. :)
User 184085 Photo

Ambassador
1,707 posts

@rix;

nice site, very well done :)
Volunteering to help :)
http://www.tbaygeek.ca
My HTML play area
http://www.tbaygeek.ca/test/
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

To be a little more specific, where I most notice the lighter gray colour text is in the horizontal menu. It looks as if you have come up against that universal problem of what colour to give all the different phases of your links... the link, the hover, the visited etc. I like varying tones of grey too, but you might need to make the link just a little darker, or maybe moving towards one of the other colours you already have on the site so as you maintain that nice colour harmony you have achieved.
User 289442 Photo

161 posts

@rix
Yes very nice, full of content and appears authoritative but in a easy to use way. However I am having problems with it with Firefox 3.6.8 and IE8. There is text overrun on most of the pages I reviewed. See the attached gifs for examples.
Attachments:
User 627461 Photo

36 posts

williamallendesigns.com

This is a pretty basic site and I realize I have some inconsistencies, I started updating basic page layout to a new format half way through, but I am certainly interested in whatever suggestions you all may have as this is my first shot at a website.

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Site looks nice William, but I would make one very large suggestion. Put your gallery on a separate page other than your home page as it loads much slower and your visitors may not wait for it to load if they aren't on a fast connection. Putting it on a separate page called Gallery, or Artwork or whatever means if they go there they are expecting to be delayed for a few moments while it loads. On the home page, people aren't quite so patient :)
User 2110228 Photo

23 posts

Nice site, William. Used to live in Downers Grove on Belmont Road many, many moons ago.
www.paradise.coffeecup.com/site
www.cableguymom.com
WSFTP

Desktop
IE8
Windows 7 Home Premium
Spyware Blaster
WinPatrol Plus
Microsoft Security Essentials
Roxio Creator 2010
2.00GB of RAM
32-bit Operating System
Cable
HP Laptop
64-bit Operating System
Everything same as Desktop

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.