Open with Adobe Reader ONLY, not...

User 2296580 Photo

6 posts

Hello,

I have PDF files people can click on, view/print/fill out, whatnot. Now I was instructed to put a PDF that is fillable with calculations (City Tax Form - http://www.portclinton.com/Taxation.html ). Well, it needs to be opened with Adobe Reader only because the Chrome and Firefox browsers adobe reader do not allow what ever they did to the PDF to work.

The information I was given by the producers of the PDF file is as follows:

" This is the information from our technical developers about how to make the PDF form download and open instead of open in-line in the browser....
How the browser interprets the PDF request depends on how the server handles it. This is done by setting request headers:

'Content-type: application/pdf'
'Content-disposition: attachment; filename="foo.pdf"'

All servers/frameworks/languages have different methods of setting these.
"

So can someone help me accomplish this, because I cannot see any option to edit this.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Unfortunately you have no way to prevent that. A browser will over-ride that and open the file their default viewer. What you would have to do instead is place the PDF inside of a ZIP file.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2296580 Photo

6 posts

Ok, so if I put it in as a zip file they will have no choice but to download it and unzip it. What is this business that they sent me about the "'Content-type: application/pdf'
'Content-disposition: attachment; filename="foo.pdf"'?

There is no way to implement this action?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Daniel Laird wrote:
Ok, so if I put it in as a zip file they will have no choice but to download it and unzip it. What is this business that they sent me about the "'Content-type: application/pdf'
'Content-disposition: attachment; filename="foo.pdf"'?

There is no way to implement this action?

That would be something you have to do in the web server configuration. Most hosting providers do not allow that unless you have a dedicated server.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Well, it needs to be opened with Adobe Reader only because the Chrome and Firefox browsers adobe reader do not allow what ever they did to the PDF to work.

Not entirely true! Your PDF opens and displays just fine in Chrome and Firefox for me. Completely editable with options to save data entered. Customers just need to make sure they are running current versions. In Firefox they will need to install the Adobe PDF plugin. First time it came up for me I could not edit it. There was an option to run the Adobe Reader separately. I did so, then went through the Firefox options and found where to activate the reader inside Firefox. Now works like a champ. :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.