Inserting counters - Post ID 736

User 2439558 Photo

70 posts

Hi Bruce, the egg counter was the small one, number 43. But, it's not imperative. We can use the one you had working. Can I just upload it (doesn't matter that it started at 12) Chris at "Implied by Design" told me he used 43 and it worked on his end, but I tried it on two different sites with 2 different hosts and it would not work. But, then I tried a counter from Blue Domino and that wouldn't work either. So, was wondering if something is wrong with my site. But, the code you gave me worked. And, it's good. So, if you say so, I can upload it? Sarah p.s. Liked your joke.
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Sarah it is ok to find another counter if you like, and you can tell them for me lol I tried 42-43 71 Lunarpages, Godaddy, Yahoo- those codes dont work lol. sorry for the joke, it was yoke that wasnt funny!
but yes it is ok to upload. Shall I look for other counters for you?
Could also try here
http://www.statcounter.com/
they offer all kinds of stats also free .

User 2439558 Photo

70 posts

Hi Bruce, thank you so much for your help! I think for the time being I will use the counter you gave me. Today I have to be out of town all day and will not have time to find other counters, so will upload this one and maybe later deal with the eggs. thanks again so much for your help. Otherwise I was going to tear the site apart to see if I had constructed it wrong. Every day I learn new things and love doing these web sites, and, of course, I love coffeecup. Sarah
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Counters don't have to look amateurish. Those cheesy free counters linked from other sites using their graphics can look terrible, though. Do a search for a free PHP counter script and modify it for your site. Text counters done in this way have a clean appearance.

They can be misleading, though, depending how they are implemented. If every page click increments the number of hits, I can navigate your site as one visitor but give you lots of hits (unless you have a separate one for every page – but then logs give you the same information).

My hit counters increment only the index page hits. You can take the scripts further to write cookies that will only increment index page hits on the first visit.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.