Images and buttons in the wrong...

User 1890873 Photo

3 posts

I am hoping someone here has had the same issues and can help me.
I have VSD 6.0
My website is www.spiritualgemsjewelry.com
I have Windows Vista

My problem has been ongoing since the first time I tried to update my website.I have not been able to re-sync the website I would always get an "Error while uploading" message very soon after I started re-syncing. I was able to upload some new items using the upload but but would eventually get the same message about 3/4 of the way through. I have a guy who does website design and he has been helping me. My plan was for him to help me get started and then handle the rest by myself since I really don't have the funds to continually dole out to keep the site updated but so far I have not been able to do any of this through VSD and probably already owe him a fortune. After uploading my updates when going to my website to see changes everything was all skewed and misplaced. My images would be where buttons were supposed to be text would be where images were supposed to be and basically my website was totally unusable. We tried a lot of different things to no avail. He tried to upload the images directly, He deleted the whole website and I tried to upload it again (still getting the error message), I deleted the "file" folder VSD makes when uploading and tried uploading again. All of these attempts still came back with the same results. Early in January my host site expired so I chose to try one that my "web guru" recommended me try just in case there was a conflict with that. I switched to Office live (I think its called, it is Microsoft). Anyway because we were concerned with the uploading issues we had experienced in the past (error message and skewed items) he uploaded it directly to the server. I uploaded almost perfect. Images, buttons, text were all in the right places. The only issue I had was that when you would click on some of the "add to cart" paypal buttons it would ring up as a different item and incorrect price. I went back in and changed the generated codes on those pages and then, again because of the issues in the past with trying to update my guy went in and updated directly to the website. To my disappointment I once again had the same issue with the images, buttons, text all being messed up. My guy says that it appears to be renaming everything when it is updated and he thinks that might be why everything gets messed up when it is updated(or something close to that I may not have restated it exactly right). He is thinking that at this point our only solution is for him to have to go into the html code and change each one of those individually and whenever I want to change or update he will have to go in and do that for me, so I will just send him the updates and images, etc. Which if it works is definitely an option and may be my only one at this point, but all of that is going to cost me money that I was trying not to spend, not to mention having to bug him everytime I want to make a change. Has anyone experienced any of this and have any idea was a solution might be.

I have already opened a support ticket, but am a little frustrated with that because the solutions they are telling me are things that I already stated I have tried.

I have attached a link to one of the pages on my website that is messed up. Let me also add that on the preview everything shows up perfectly.
http://spiritualgemsjewelry.com/Page54p … earls.html" class="bb-url">
http://spiritualgemsjewelry.com/Page54p … earls.html
User 2000538 Photo

1,392 posts

HI Cathy,

If you haven't already tried, switch off your virus protection and firewalls whilst uploading and see if that makes a difference. I found I couldn't upload at all until I did that.

I would also suggest deleting all the files already uploaded and starting afresh.

I had the issue of a garbled site in shopping cart but that was because I forgot to change the server info and had one shop upload over another...which makes me think starting fresh with an empty public_html folder might be a good plan.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said...but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not exactly what I meant.

User 1890873 Photo

3 posts

Thanks for your response. I have tried turning off the firewalls before uploading and still got the same upload error and we have also tried deleting and starting over, still with no luck. The only thing I did see in one of the posts that I had not tried yet was something about checking passive mode somewhere before uploading but I could not find where to go to do that, but I didn't really know where to look either. Thanks again for your help.
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,072 posts

Go to Settings > FTP Settings...

Then click the "Advanced..." button. You should then see the check-box for "Passive".
User 1890873 Photo

3 posts

Thanks, I found that I guess it was too easy everything else has been such a pain. I will give that a try and see what happens.
User 2014903 Photo

5 posts

i had the same problem, and tried the passive mode, it didn't work.
I've tried deleting the current server public data, and i've tried turning off the firewall.

below is my problem

I recently added 10 or so pages to my 6 page website. When i previously had uploaded it would tell me that (braddon.xml) an old flash font header tag, couldn't be found, and did i want to continue with upload or not.
Well, now after the 10 added pages, it's asking me for about 8 missing files or so, and i get an error upload, every time i try to upload.
I've tried restarting VSD. rebooting my computer. and even deleted what's currently on my server and tried to sync the new pages.
none of which have worked.
please help.
"Oh yeah, sometimes my mistakes turn out better than my intentions."

-Reuel
User 458800 Photo

78 posts

Ummmm....I have difficulty reading long blocks of uninterrupted code or words; I think it's a combination of things, but I mostly suspect a right-brain dominance thing. So I skimmed the original post. Don't know if this will help, but maybe I can offer some insight and observations.

Whenever I have trouble with buttons "skewed", as I call the situation (wrong buttons, buttons from other pages on my site, missing buttons, or any other schizo-looking stuff), the issue is simple. The "files" folder on my server is out of sync with my HTML pages.

I've noticed that this can happen easily with VSD, because when you make a change and then save your site, it can cause ALL of the buttons to be renamed on your local "files" folder. Some types of changes that seem to cause this phenomenon:

* Inserting or deleting a page from your site
* Inserting or deleting a button on one or more pages
* Making severe modifications to a page or buttons.

At least with VSD 5.9, I noticed that adding text boxes or making changes to the contents of text boxes do not seem to do this. I couldn't care less about reading the actual HTML code generated by VSD (for the same reason I don't read long blocks of unparagraphed text), so I don't know for sure...but I strongly suspect that text-box information is stored with the HTML page. While "buttons" are stored as JPG's in the "files" folder.

My procedure may be different from others here, but I'll tell you how I handle it because it seems to work nicely for me.

First, I don't use the VSD feature for uploading my site. Never did get it to work. Someday I will take the time to debug my issue (or try to get it working in V6), but at this point I don't really need the upload feature because I'm perfectly happy to use FileZilla.

So using FileZilla: Before I update my site, I just delete the contents of the /files folder on my server...that is, all those JPG files that make up the "auto-named" buttons.

To save on upload time and bandwidth consumption, I usually keep anything that I have SPECIFICALLY NAMED, such as the JPG's that I created and named for my upper-left corner "go to home" icon and so forth. Those have my names and not the "auto names" created by VSD, so there's no need to keep them in sync with my HTML pages.

Next, I upload the contents of the files folder on my workstation to the same folder on my server.

Finally, I upload my HTML pages to my server's root HTML_Home (or whatever it's called).

On occasion you can get away with uploading "some" of the buttons or "some" of the HTML pages, but if you have skewed objects on your page, you may be forced to just blast the server's copies of "files" and root and completely replace them.

If your site is huge, this may not be a good solution for you.

No, that's not "finally." This is: I always test the site by visiting each page to make sure the buttons are correct and that they don't go to dead-end links, and I test my "contact us" feature to be sure that it works and that the notification emails get sent correctly.

Works fine for me, but I only update my site once or twice a month. Mine is about a 10-page Home Owners Association site. It has some downloads (bylaws, newsletters, and other documents) and current neighborhood info, so it needs little care and feeding. No need for fancy features or frequent updates. One day I'll try using the upload feature from VSD to see how well it works. It might simplify my updating procedure...and the risk is low becasue if I break my site, I already know how to fix it.
Windows 11
Intel i9 (workstation) and i9 (laptop). Gobs of RAM and acres of SSD space on both machines.
User 199286 Photo

92 posts

cathy gratz wrote:
I am hoping someone here has had the same issues and can help me.
I have VSD 6.0
My website is www.spiritualgemsjewelry.com
I have Windows Vista

My problem has been ongoing since the first time I tried to update my website.I have not been able to re-sync the website I would always get an "Error while uploading" message very soon after I started re-syncing. ...

I have had a similar problem when making changes to VSD created sites. Sometimes VSD cannot, for any number of reasons, upload the site using the built in Re-syncing feature.

I have no solution for that other than to use an FTP program like Filezilla (as mentioned earlier in a previous post by BIF)

As far as your scrambled image issues are concerned, I have had that problem too...when it happened to me I realized almost immediately that it was simply an issue with my browser cache.

As many here will understand, your browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.) downloads a copy of whatever website you are viewing before it presents it to you, generally speaking, It may go back to that copy of the site when you next go to view the site again, in an effort to speed things up.

I noticed with some of my VSD created sites that, after I made changes and updated a site, then looked it over - it would be scrambled up with the wrong images showing up in places where other images should be.

The solution was simplicity in itself in my case...and here it is:

After doing an update to your site, and after uploading the updates to your FTP site...

...HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY AND CLICK THE REFRESH BUTTON ON YOUR BROWSER. (I used all caps for the post skimmers here :) )

This will make your browser forget the page information in the cache and redraw the page from the ground up.

In other words - the problem may not be with VSD - it may only be a lingering cache issue.

Give it a try next time and see if that helps.

Another way to test this is to get someone on a different computer who has never seen the page previously to take a look at it. If they see it scrambled, you still have a problem. If not, it is likely your own browser cache causing the issue.
User 199286 Photo

92 posts

Reuel Elliot wrote:
i had the same problem, and tried the passive mode, it didn't work.
I've tried deleting the current server public data, and i've tried turning off the firewall.

below is my problem

I recently added 10 or so pages to my 6 page website. When i previously had uploaded it would tell me that (braddon.xml) an old flash font header tag, couldn't be found, and did i want to continue with upload or not.
Well, now after the 10 added pages, it's asking me for about 8 missing files or so, and i get an error upload, every time i try to upload.
I've tried restarting VSD. rebooting my computer. and even deleted what's currently on my server and tried to sync the new pages.
none of which have worked.
please help.

The missing files may be missing as a result of the possibility that you have moved some of the files you placed from one directory to another, or perhaps deleted them yourself.

The solution to this problem is generally to put the files back where they were so VSD can find them.

In other words - VSD is asking you for the missing files because you may have likely moved or deleted them - or something happened that caused the files to be moved or erased otherwise.

The best working method overall to prevent this from happening is to keep all of your external image and other types of files in the same working folder as your VSD project.

This is not a situation that is limited to VSD. Many other web page creation packages and other types of programs such as Adobe InDesign and Quark XPress will lose links to external files if they are not initially located in the project directory and are later moved or deleted.

Keep everything in the same folder as your VSD project file and you should be solid. At least as far as the whole error message regarding missing files is concerned.

Any image file that you place into your VSD layout should be kept and never deleted unless you delete it off of the web page you are creating. I simply keep everything in order to prevent such mishaps.
User 199286 Photo

92 posts

One related fact to keep in mind when using WYSIWYG website builders like VSD is that you will generally experience certain trade-offs for the ability to create a web page so easily (as compared to using Dreamweaver and the like).

When you are working on your site in VSD, you are not working directly on the HTML files that VSD will eventually create and update.

You are working in a proprietary VSD document.

This means that when you add images, and then save your project, VSD will then create the required HTML files, the images will generally be renamed to something somewhat generic and added to the IMAGES folder along with other images that VSD creates in response to your web page building efforts. An example of a VSD added image would be a button with a drop shadow and/or bevel that you created within VSD directly.

In order for VSD to finalize what you created into an HTML web page, it has to do fancy things in the background. These are generally things that you would normally have to do yourself such as create tables, create sliced images in photoshop, and other things if you were using something like Dreamweaver.

Because of all the imagery VSD has to generate on it's own in addition to whatever you add, it has to automatically name and rename a pile of images in the final analysis. Logically, this has to be done in a consistent way.

Due to the generic nature of the image file names that VSD eventually will create, It can also mean that images that were called one thing in the first version of a site can be automatically renamed. This means that many items will have names that were once owned previously by other images.

The only constant is that the original images you so carefully found or created and added to your VSD project still have to be found in order for you to continue to work on the proprietary VSD files. They are only linked to, and not permanently part of the VSD project. You must not change them once you place them onto a page. If you do, delete it from the VSD page you are working on and re-place it.

Keep all of your working images and files in the same directory as your VSD file(s). Don't move them. Don't delete them. If you do, you will most certainly get the "misssing file" error.

Not sure if I am explaining this well - it is a bit late for me right at the moment. If anyone has any questions about what I just wrote here....talk to Scott!

:) Just kidding - feel free to ask me to explain further...

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.