Tips for using color schemer...

User 240825 Photo

Ambassador
2 posts

Reading the help PDF that came with the program has provided little insight into actual usage.

The function of various parts of the program is explained well enough, but the instruction in choosing 2 colors, changing one and calling it done really doesn't help much in regards to using the various features together to make a really nice color scheme.

So, are there any discussions or posts regarding how people actually use this app?

I've done some searching and all I've found is a forum from another "color schemer" program (but it does look exactly the same as the one I got from CoffeeCup).

Thanks,

Andrew
User 192897 Photo

325 posts

Andrew Kersting wrote:
Reading the help PDF that came with the program has provided little insight into actual usage.

I just purchased Color Schemer due to that great offer to existing customers. I read over the PDF and Help manual but still dont have a clue what to do with this thing. Is there any tutorials (none on CC) or hints, examples, tips etc that can explain how to use this product? Seems like a nice one if i knew what to do with it?

Not color blind but maybe color "challenged"
There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress. MARK TWAIN

www.juliekushner.com
www.beercoastermania.com
www.phi-scsc.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

George, did you happen to also get the Web Color Guide (PDF)? This really explains pretty much everything you need to know about colors and how they apply to Color Schemer.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 192897 Photo

325 posts

hi Scott, yes I did but only read it once. I'll go back and read it over again

Thanks
There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress. MARK TWAIN

www.juliekushner.com
www.beercoastermania.com
www.phi-scsc.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Just note when you are reading it, this is not a "How to use Color Schemer" but how colors and web design work. You can then use that info to create color schemes in our software.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Here's a quote of what I posted in another thread, hopefully it will help you to understand exactly what the color schemer can do for you and help you with in your website and even other things for colors:

The Color Schemer is an awesome program, helps you find colors you want to use for your site, helps you get the colors from anything on your computer screen at all. You can build color schemes for each site you work with so you don't have to go hunting down what part of your css file has what color in it and of course you see the colors directly rather than guessing by the css tag which color it might be since it's all in hex hehe.

I can go on for hours about my right hand program LOL. I have used it for at least 5 years, maybe more when I earned it many many moons ago for putting links on my site to coffeecup before they got so famous :P , and I finally broke down and bought it a few years back to get an updated version.

You'll never be without the ability to find just the right color, or to identify the color number of a color you see or visa versa color number to color. It's an amazing little helper. For $9 I'd scoop this up fast!

No need for color charts, it's all in here right at your fingertips and it's interactive rather than typing a number off of a chart.

One of the best things I use this for, on a constant basis is grabbing a color from a website page or even right off my computer desktop and getting the hex number for it for inserting it into my site. Sometimes I come across some really beatiful color schemes on websites that I'd love to play with so I grab the colors and save them into a color scheme for checking out later. But this isn't all it can do, it can help you come up with color schemes too by giving you the complimentary colors for a color you're interested in as well as some other settings that even I'm not familiar with yet lol
User 192897 Photo

325 posts

Thanks Scott and Jo Ann. Will go back and play/read again.. Jo Ann - if you used to create the two sites you have listed, it worked... Those are great looking sites.......

www.juliekushner.com
www.beercoastermania.com
www.phi-scsc.com
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Thanks George, and yep I sure did use it to do almost all color matching and finding of hex numbers for the code for those sites and many others along the years.

Have used it on many sites even CMS sites like Joomla and Wordpress too where you need color codes. What's really fun to use it for is when you have an image that has a specific color you want to use like I decided I wanted to create a shiny image on a menu for our hosting site (not finished yet lol) but I've never done any image editing like that before so what I did was I opened the image that was there already to see what it looked like, saw that it was 3 different shades of green and I wanted an apricot peachy type colored button so... I picked 3 shades of that color using the Website color schemer by finding the main color I wanted first, then I hit the lighten setting to make it just a bit liter for one area and a little lighter for the other area and got those numbers and I used those numbers inside of my Paint Shop Pro x2 program.
I put the color numbers into the areas I wanted to alter the colors for and wallah I had a brand new menu button that looks all nice and shiny thanks to the help of the Color Schemer. Far as I'm concerned the "Website" part of the name of that program is misleading, it's more than just a website color helper :)

Paint Shop Pro and many other image editors such as Photo Shop and so on also have hex number settings in them so you can actually use it for image editing and getting your color numbers for making images too.
User 192897 Photo

325 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
Thanks George, and yep I sure did use it to do almost all color matching and finding of hex numbers for the code for those sites and many others along the years..

Hi Jo Ann, well i read and re-read etc all the documentation and cant figure out how you got yours colors for accessoriesoftheworld... i picked your background color (RGB 72, 28, 79) and cant see where you got the gold (real nice by the way).

Then i selected the gold (227,202, 62) and kind of see where you got the purple and greenish colors. Somewhat...

Does the above make sense? In the first example, how would you know to select gold?

george (AKA not color inteligent)

www.juliekushner.com
www.beercoastermania.com
www.phi-scsc.com
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Ahh no worries George you're not losing your mind hehe.

Not all of my color scheme was developed using the Color Schemer, keep in mind that I already had some of the color ideas already picked out before I even started. Purple being my favorite color I went through all my background images and swatches to find the right one and built it from that. The gold was actually an accident lol. I originally started with CoffeeCups Jupiter theme I think it was. I took the border which was a grayish color and I loaded it up in Photo Shop Elements 2 and cut out the border itself from the rest of the graphics, I then took that and started adding different types of layers to it till I got it to look like it does and I was actually looking for something I could do in Teal, but ended up liking the gold lol.

I followed suit with the Logo text in the same program to match the border and then from there started using the Color Schemer to find different shades of purple and teal to go with the rest.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.