Insert ASP Code - Post ID 278728

User 2899327 Photo

Bootstrap Builder Beta
3 posts

I have a classic ASP site I'm trying to update. I have situations where I need to customize elements of pages based on the logged-in user or using data generated from a database. I have several options for how to go about doing this; some are more convenient or elegant than others, but all require answers to questions I haven't been able to find.
  • Can I insert ASP code into the pages I create with Bootstrap Builder? Ideally there'd be an element delimited with ASP script delimiters as in <% script here %>. I can use the HTML Element element; in most cases I will want to put my script inside a div that I can position and style with Bootstrap Builder. But in some cases I need to insert code that isn't going to directly output HTML but rather does things like process a form. I don't really want code like that in a div. (Or would one of the other tags available to delimit the HTML Element element be better?)
  • Can I change the file extension used by Bootstrap Builder for its pages? I can do this after the fact easily enough but it's awkward.
User 2899327 Photo

Bootstrap Builder Beta
3 posts

Follow-up: I found I can modify IIS to run .html files through the ASP interpreter, so I don't need to change the file extension. Any ASP code I insert in HTML gets executed just fine, including server-side includes of the form
<!-- #include file="filename.asp" -->

which is awesome.

So at this point it looks like what I'll have to do is put hidden divs on the page that contain my code. Is there any other way to insert arbitrary "stuff" anywhere else on the page? (Other than editing the page after the fact and thus losing my changes during the next save.)
User 2899327 Photo

Bootstrap Builder Beta
3 posts

Let me just take a moment while we all think about this question to say how much I appreciate the prompt and accurate answers I've received to my questions about Bootstrap Builder. I wasn't expecting this kind of overwhelming response when paying $99 to beta-test a commercial product. Thanks, CoffeeCup!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.