Test email - authentication failure...

User 407558 Photo

36 posts

I am trying to set up my email settings in WAM (3.2 build 203) but my test email keeps failing. I have used the same settings as in Outlook and it would appear I am able to log onto the server but not send emails.
I have attached a screen shot of my settings and I have copied the log from the email test-
Connecting to SMTP Server: smtp.octenwebdesign.co.uk Port: 25...
Connected. Logging Into SMTP Server...
Attempting SMTP Auth Login...
UserName: aa3584@octenwebdesign.co.uk Password: sbcwnf
SMTP Auth Login Succeeded
Sending Test Email to admin@octenwebdesign.co.uk
SMTP Message Send FAILED: 535 authentication failed (#5.7.1)
SMTP Quitting.
Test Complete.

I have tried several variations and other email addresses but all with the same result.
I've probably made a schoolboy error here - can anyone help me spot it (and correct it).

Attachments:
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

2 things to try:

1. Change the bottom setting to "Log on using" and enter in your information again.
2. Try checking Use SSL and see if that helps.

If neither of those work, you may need to look at your log file on your website to see the exact error message.

Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 407558 Photo

36 posts

Hi Scott,
thanks for the quick response.
I've tried both without any success.
I've spoken to my ISP. The outgoing SMTP server requires authentification. I've added this password but again I'm still getting the same error message.
The log file on my website is not registering the failures so I can't get any clues from there.
I know the software works and on the current server as I set up the password protection a while back but forgot to back up the WAM database when upgrading my hard drive (I'd be dangerous if I ever get my brain working!).
Any help gratefully accepted.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Strange. WAM has no logging internally to tell us why this is occuring. You will probably need to look on your hosting server in the error_log or messages logs to see what the exact problem is.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 407558 Photo

36 posts

HI,
Thanks for your time and advice Scott.
I've been talking to my hosting server. He maintains the settings are correct and the problem lies with the software (he would wouldn't he). He has tested the server and is able to send/recieve emails using the settings above. Unfortunately there is no publically available error log.
I'm at the end of my tether. My host server has suggested the software is sending a corrupted request to the server hence the failure. Is this possible? Can you suggest any way forward?
Cheers, Paul.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

I really can't think of anything Paul. There is no logging in the software, so I really wouldn't know exactly where it is failing. What you can try instead is get a free Gmail account and send your e-mails out through there as a test. If that works, at least it gives you the ability to send mail.

Also, take a look at www.google.com/a This is a great way to get gmail hosted email on your own domain. We use this here at CoffeeCup and we love it.
User 407558 Photo

36 posts

Just a thought ! I have used WAM to send emails in the past but lost my settings. The problems I am now experiencing are with the latest version of WAM. Could it be a bug in the newest version? Would it help to go back to 3.1?
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

paul nagel wrote:
Just a thought ! I have used WAM to send emails in the past but lost my settings. The problems I am now experiencing are with the latest version of WAM. Could it be a bug in the newest version? Would it help to go back to 3.1?

I can't see how. The previous version actually had a lot of issues around sending emails. You could go back to that version but then you will not be able to protect individual files like you can now.
User 407558 Photo

36 posts

As it's so frustrating I tried it anyway (version 3.1) - it made no difference (I should learn to listen to those with more knowledge).
I guess there's no solution to this, or at least a solution that can be solved here. I remain convinced the problem lies with my hosting server as every other CC program I have, and use, works like a dream.
Thanks for your help and patience Scott.
User 2130766 Photo

1 post

I am experiencing the EXACT same problems.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.