Problems With Passwords - Page 1 -...

User 2128640 Photo

8 posts

hi, after much effort i have managed to connect via ftp with the site, i must appologise before i start i am green at this , firstly i want the site to be abled to be viewed by anyone but i want to restrict one page to be viewed by members only, i have suceeded in blocking everyone before removing it off site, then i had another go and managed to have the members page asking for a password however the box that comes up is the one for windows live with the user names for live and does not resemble anything like the one show in the tutorial in fact the name and password that i have in access manager are not in the box at all help please.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Peter,

Do you have a link to this page so we can see what it's doing?
User 2128640 Photo

8 posts

hi the site is http://www.ncirossallpointfleetwood.co.uk/ i have removed website access the password box that came up was like the one you get for a router but it had our microsoft live email address's in the drop down box
please see attchment

when i put in the user name as Administrator and the password that is in website access manager and the second attemp i got the message below

Authorization Required
This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 401 Authorization Required error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

this was on opening the site www.ncirossallpointfleetwood.co.uk not just the members page
Attachments:
User 2128640 Photo

8 posts

hi again i checked the passive mode and now i can view all the site with no problems and when i click the "members" i get the box asking for a username and a password the problem now is the password will not work and after three attempts i get the error 401 page any ideas please?
please see attachment
Attachments:
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Ok I can verify that the box that pops up is correct, it should just be a generic internet ID & PW box that you get so that looks fine.

Can you setup a test page and test ID & PW with the same setup you are using now so we can test it out and see what's wrong? It's hard to figure out what might be wrong without actually trying it.

Just create a bogus html page and then use the same setup you have for the page you're currently trying to protect for that bogus page. Create an account for us to try (generic ID & PW just for testing) and post the info here so we can see first hand how it's reacting.
User 2128640 Photo

8 posts

hi thanks for the reply being a little new to this i am unsure about what you are asking i can give you the username and password for the site i am having trouble with, the page is blank at the moment so its not a problem someone viewing it, i can change username and password later it later for something else
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Peter can add a user & password named coffeecup for both?
then delete when they are done testing?

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

yep if the page is already blank then just a coffeecup account for testing will be fine. I thought you already had your private things on the page so didn't want you giving access to that one so was asking you to make another page with nothing really on it so we could test with that one instead.

Just setup an account as bruzer mentioned using coffeecup for the ID & PW so we can see what it's doing :)
User 2128640 Photo

8 posts

hi thanks again the page is
www.ncirossallpointfleetwood.co.uk/members.html
username coffecups
id petopi79
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Peter, have you checked out the tutorials here?
http://www.coffeecup.com/website-access-manager/help/tutorials/
the username and password:
user=coffeecups
password=petopi79
isn't working for me.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.