Suggestions for CoffeeCup HTML Web...

User 629005 Photo


Ambassador
2,174 posts

david - The "Number Field" was not/and by standards IS NOT intended to be used for phone #'s.

NUMERIC(precision, scale) variable Used to hold exact numbers

precision (1 to 15) specifies how many digits to store.

scale (1 to 15) (when present) specifies location of decimal point. Must be less than or equal to precision.

Example - NUMERIC(10,3) - ppppppp.sss - stores exactly 10 digits
DECIMAL(precision, scale) variable Secifies the minimum precision desired, but more is ok

precision (1 to 15) specifies the minimum number of digits to store.

scale (1 to 15) (when present) specifies location of decimal point. Must be less than or equal to precision.

Example - DECIMAL(10,3) - ppppppp.sss - stores at least 10 digits


There actually IS NO STANDARD for a Phone # field. It is usually (as CC plans to do), a MODIFIED TEXT FIELD, and one that the administrator of the database would normally set-up (especially given that there are probably at least 50 "Local Conventions" for writing telephone numbers around the world).

Since the "issue" has been brought up, and ADDRESSED by CC WITH a SOLUTION coming in the near future, I don't see what the point to your bashing is...
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 2303124 Photo


Registered User
86 posts

Phil wrote:
david -

Since the "issue" has been brought up, and ADDRESSED by CC WITH a SOLUTION coming in the near future, I don't see what the point to your bashing is...


I think you might be missing the point. I have mentioned amongst others that the number field is top short. A medium used by millions across the world is ebay and we cant even make a form with an ebay item number as its set too short. So simple for a programmer to fix in seconds but not fixed in the last release.

I have also asked about other issues but no one even replies. I have suggested a last thread so we can see whats been requested and add support for the items we think will be useful. No one replied.

I have also asked if you can have several different styles of list. but only one required. For example a number (perhaps for ebay item.) OR An email address. OR perhaps a phone number OR a ticket system number BUT ONLY ONE REQUIRED. I cant see how this can be done in the current program. BUt it seems to me an essential basic requirement.

But I dont even know if CC has seen my suggestion/request and or if they think its a good idea etc etc.

so it seems you have to make a fuss to get noticed and a response!!

sorry but thats the way its seen from here.

At least with a list we can see whats been requested and accepted for future and/or rejected ,and why etc
User 103173 Photo


VP of Software Development
0 posts

Andy Taylor wrote:
Phil wrote:
david -

Since the "issue" has been brought up, and ADDRESSED by CC WITH a SOLUTION coming in the near future, I don't see what the point to your bashing is...


I think you might be missing the point. I have mentioned amongst others that the number field is top short. A medium used by millions across the world is ebay and we cant even make a form with an ebay item number as its set too short. So simple for a programmer to fix in seconds but not fixed in the last release.

I have also asked about other issues but no one even replies. I have suggested a last thread so we can see whats been requested and add support for the items we think will be useful. No one replied.

I have also asked if you can have several different styles of list. but only one required. For example a number (perhaps for ebay item.) OR An email address. OR perhaps a phone number OR a ticket system number BUT ONLY ONE REQUIRED. I cant see how this can be done in the current program. BUt it seems to me an essential basic requirement.

But I dont even know if CC has seen my suggestion/request and or if they think its a good idea etc etc.

so it seems you have to make a fuss to get noticed and a response!!

sorry but thats the way its seen from here.

At least with a list we can see whats been requested and accepted for future and/or rejected ,and why etc

We do monitor this area for suggestions, but I cannot always comment on each and every one of them. Some may make it in the software and others may not. The more people that ask for the same type of feature increases the likely hood that it will get added. If only one customer is asking for something, that reduces the chances of it being included.

For your eBay example, instead of using a Number element, use a Text Field element instead. This would give you the work around until we decide on what changes we want to make to the Number element.

As to making a fuss. That just gets many people irked off. We prefer you act nicely in a public place. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 629005 Photo


Ambassador
2,174 posts

Andy Taylor wrote:
I think you might be missing the point. I have mentioned amongst others that the number field is top short. A medium used by millions across the world is ebay and we cant even make a form with an ebay item number as its set too short. So simple for a programmer to fix in seconds but not fixed in the last release.


Sure, a simple fix... Until you factor in, what length to make it. If you extend it to 20 someone will complain that they need 25. If you extend it to 50 someone will say they need 100, and so on. I know that this is another request that has been acknowledged (and the example I give is one of the "hold-ups", as CC was wanting to see what specific length is being required).

Andy Taylor wrote:

But I dont even know if CC has seen my suggestion/request and or if they think its a good idea etc etc.

so it seems you have to make a fuss to get noticed and a response!!

sorry but thats the way its seen from here.

At least with a list we can see whats been requested and accepted for future and/or rejected ,and why etc


Don't know how to assure you that CC has seen your suggestion, but I can tell you they have. Someone from CC is on this forum (usually Scott) almost 24/7. Heck, Scott was on here on Christmas Day helping at least one user out. Where else do you find that kind of customer attention? Again, (I know it's been discussed here before), just because you don't see a personal response to every suggestion doesn't mean that they aren't logging it (probably in some neat little database) and watching to see which features are being requested the most. There's a system in place, and it is working. Try making a suggestion at MicroSoft and see how far that gets ya. :lol::rolleyes:
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 2303124 Photo


Registered User
86 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
[quote=Andy Taylor][quote=Phil]david -


We do monitor this area for suggestions, but I cannot always comment on each and every one of them. Some may make it in the software and others may not. The more people that ask for the same type of feature increases the likely hood that it will get added. If only one customer is asking for something, that reduces the chances of it being included.


This is exactly the point I am making. I have asked about something I would have been expecting to have been in any form editor.

Others may not realise how useful it is to have this function. This applies to many others things I dont use now possibly because I dont think it can be done etc.

If we had a thread that listed whats been asked for.

Like
extended number entry. Under discussion.
phone number field. Next revision
universal date format Not enough interest.

WE could all see whats been requested and support it. or not as the case may be. But it could be a damn good function that no one has even thought of but we might like it if we knew it might exist.

For your eBay example, instead of using a Number element, use a Text Field element instead. This would give you the work around until we decide on what changes we want to make to the Number element.


I can use a work around in that example thats easy....cant see what we cant have unlimited figures....but thats CC choice.

But other suggestion I dont know what the thoughts are on that or if its been read and understood. etc etc

As to making a fuss. That just gets many people irked off. We prefer you act nicely in a public place. ;)


Well first of all have you heard of the customer is always right.? I think people have been acting nicely. I dont think there was a digg and any one to be honest. I dont think beta testers were being maligned just the process did not seem to be wide spread.

Personally no beta tester would have been any use to get what I need incorporated as they might not even see the need. BUt thast not maligning beta testers its just saying they can only test what is in front of them.
User 2303124 Photo


Registered User
86 posts

Phil wrote:

Sure, a simple fix... Until you factor in, what length to make it. If you extend it to 20 someone will complain that they need 25. If you extend it to 50 someone will say they need 100, and so on. I know that this is another request that has been acknowledged (and the example I give is one of the "hold-ups", as CC was wanting to see what specific length is being required).


I knew that would be the reply. Quite valid actually. to be fair.
but if it was adjustable in settings for that element we could all have a choice.

So I have factored it in . I can give you the fix. (see above) but this was a simple request.



Don't know how to assure you that CC has seen your suggestion, but I can tell you they have. Someone from CC is on this forum (usually Scott) almost 24/7. Heck, Scott was on here on Christmas Day helping at least one user out. Where else do you find that kind of customer attention? Again, (I know it's been discussed here before), just because you don't see a personal response to every suggestion doesn't mean that they aren't logging it (probably in some neat little database) and watching to see which features are being requested the most. There's a system in place, and it is working. Try making a suggestion at MicroSoft and see how far that gets ya. :lol::rolleyes:


The system might seem to be working to you. we are here telling you it aint...not from our perspective. Oh and yes Microsoft...Support>>>>. yes I know its a waste of space. Even midday in the week a normal week at that.

I am actually tech support in my real life. I know what its like . (I work 18 hours a day) I could help 100 people on Xmas day but the one person who uses yahoo.com and does not get his email leaves negative feedback which takes us past the % and costs us 30%. Yes I know what it like. Which is why I offer solutions and not just requests.

A simple thread which contains a list of what has been requested ,and its current status .would be damn useful and solve much debate.
User 103173 Photo


VP of Software Development
0 posts

My only concern about such a list is people asking all day long "When will it be completed?" or "Why was this not added yet?" I would then have to answer the question, but no one would read 20 posts below where it was already answered once and then ask the same question again. ;)

For us here, this process we have in place already works very well. We constantly add suggestions based on what is posted in here. Ultimately that is what matters.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2303124 Photo


Registered User
86 posts

For you the process works. For the customer is dont.
I have made two suggestions neither of which I know will be included or rejected.

I thought my example showed everything.

Like
extended number entry. Under discussion.
phone number field. Next revision
universal date format Not enough interest.

seems to have plenty of information to me............I can see the universal date format did not get enough interest.

extended number entry is being discussed.


If all of a sudden 100 people thought the universal date format was actually a good idea they could say so.......in another thread. Keeping the LIST clean. and simple and informative.

To reply to any of those questions you would merely need to send the URL to the thread of the list thread.

In fact you could always update the list to show the latest info...(just once)

perhaps like.

extended number entry. Under discussion./Now found technically impossible

User 103173 Photo


VP of Software Development
0 posts

Andy Taylor wrote:
For you the process works. For the customer is dont.
I have made two suggestions neither of which I know will be included or rejected.

I thought my example showed everything.

Like
extended number entry. Under discussion.
phone number field. Next revision
universal date format Not enough interest.

seems to have plenty of information to me............I can see the universal date format did not get enough interest.

extended number entry is being discussed.


If all of a sudden 100 people thought the universal date format was actually a good idea they could say so.......in another thread. Keeping the LIST clean. and simple and informative.

To reply to any of those questions you would merely need to send the URL to the thread of the list thread.

In fact you could always update the list to show the latest info...(just once)

perhaps like.

extended number entry. Under discussion./Now found technically impossible


I can see where you may want something like that, but I just don't see it happening. Something like that would require a lot of effort on our part to maintain and I can already see a 1000 problems with it. Maybe someday, but for now we like a bit of mystery in what we are working it. It lends to the excitement when we release a new version and you see that a feature you may have wanted has been included.

If you have specific features you think really should be included, make a dedicated forum post just for that feature and get people to voice their comments on it. Inger did this with the date format options and we are monitoring that thread closely.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 1948478 Photo


Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

The html boxes under Settings for "Configure email message" and "Confirm Options" (and possibly other places) would be a lot easier to edit if we could right-click and use copy/paste. Someone brought this up very early in this thread, so I'm just adding emphasis to it!
Also, the 'instruction text' with some added CC advertising at the end of the email message really needs to be removed... ;)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.