We Want Mac Applications!! ( Let's...

User 289981 Photo

28 posts

Craig, when I started this thread I had no idea there were this many suffering MAC users out there. I feel your pain (President Bill Clintons words) and hopefully the CC team is secretly locked away in an undisclosed location working and burning the midnight oil to address this most pressing need. (smile)

Maybe if we elevate this need to the level of national Coffee Cup Security, (LOL LOL LOL) they'll move quicker on it. If President Obama can have what was unthinkable at one time (Blackberry Phone) then we should expect the CC team to work just as hard on our behalf!! (LOL LOL) ... but I'm serious.

One this is clear. Web designers who use MAC's would clammer just as hard to use CC Products if they had compatible versions.

We're a special bunch ... so if we keep saying it loud enough, somebody will hear us!!!

All the best

GM
User 159583 Photo

1 post

Count me in the true Mac believers column...one that would really like to see CC software for Mac. I also use Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, etc. They all work fine, but some of the CC programs are neat and quick additions that are easy to use and do what they're supposed to do.

I've used Windows for what seems like decades. I've built numerous PC's from scratch. Nothing, absolutely nothing compares to how well Mac's operate and how easy they are to use. They just work...period. I've been tempted to run Windows on my Mac for the few programs that are MS-centric. But every time I use a Windows machine I'm reminded why I've come to detest them so much. Once upon a time (v3.1?) they were sweet and actually did what they were supposed to do. Now Windows (even using XP Pro as I must sometimes) is an ongoing disaster.

Until you've actually used a Mac for any period of time, you'll never know how sweet computing can be again. And CC software's great little programs would be icing on the cake.
User 289981 Photo

28 posts

Rick, I hear ya!!

I thought about running windows on my Mac, but I decided to be a purist!! LOL

I still use my PC, but I use it alot less than I used too. I've moved all my Video editing over to the MAC. I'm still waiting on the new 17 inch Macbook Pro to be delivered of which they keep pushing back the date. BUT, I think it will be worth it. I was able to do some editing on the New 15.4 Macbook Pro and I got to say 'HEAVEN!!!!!'

So, as usual ..... Hey CC Developers .... Are you listening?? We wait with glee!!!!
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

Okay, for all you guys using Macs right now:

I've been reading the Apple marketing hype, and they claim that with "Boot Camp" your (Intel-based, I presume) Mac can run Windows stuff natively (with an installation of Windows which I'd have to provide). How "native" is it, really?

I have multiple 3D modeling programs that only come in PC flavors (and the one that has a Mac version is too expensive for me to buy again). Then there's all this CC stuff I just got. How realistic would it to be, were I to get a Mac Book Pro to replace my aging 17" HP graphics laptop, to assume that I'd be able to install and run all my hard core PC apps without any problems?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 510015 Photo

Ambassador
92 posts

Spinny,
I have a number of requests from users of our software to develop a mac version. For us, the investment simply isnt worth it. Some few folks have tried to use Windows emulation programs on their Mac's to run our stuff, with variable success.

I would say this, it is unlikely that the "without any problems" scenario running windows based applications on a Mac will ever hit 100%, at least in today's configurations. And i would say, the more complicated the Windows software you want to run (3D modelling system sounds like they might be pushing a lot of envelopes), the more likely the software will have issues on a mac.

Just my two cents.
All my best,
Scott Tucker
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

Wanna know what's really scary? The more expensive of the modelers in question has a free migration to Mac policy. The other one runs on Mac Books just fine using VMWare, and they are also developing a native Mac version due out next year. Worst case, when you fire up a new Mac using Boot Camp (if it's an Intel Mac, which the Mac Book Pro is) you have a full-on PC for loading Windoze onto. It's even subject to all the Windows virus problems.

These are all not helpful things to learn when you're trying to talk yourself out of spending the bucks on a new rig. :P
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

As far as I know, using Boot Camp is a typical dual-boot scenario, so there's no emulation involved. Typically, the inconvenience there would be you'd have to reboot to run the apps if you were in Leopard at the time, or deal with some slower performance or hardware limitations in a VM. However, now you can boot to the Windows physical partition in the VM software as well (I forget now if it's VMware, Parallels or both that offer this), so you can either boot to the same XP/Vista while in Mac or through boot camp w/o emulation (and everything's in sync). I'd really have no fear of a Windows app running properly in the boot camp option of running Windows. VMware or Parallels would be a runner-up choice, but there could be an issue if the software is more hardware dependent. Luckily the newer versions have better support for DirectX & OpenGL (video acceleration), which would be key in modeling apps. The software emulation like Crossover & Wine are the kinds that are more likely to give a hit 'n miss experience. With the swap to Intel cpus, it's definitely a consideration to make the switch, which wasn't an option before. Now if only the price tags would drop.
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

Well, the other scary thing? A new 17" Mac Book Pro, with double the specs I currently run, costs LESS than I paid for my 17" HP graphics laptop almost 5 years ago. I think that very soon my wife is honestly going to want to kill me. http://www.spinland.biz/smileys/icon_yikes.gif

User 238157 Photo

Ambassador
17 posts

It's not a question of how or if one can run CC apps on a Mac - I do it all the time using Parallels and Windows XP in emulation mode. The problem for me is that I need to run the software in Windows at all. XP still crashes on the Mac - the only bright side is that to reboot windows in emulation mode doesn't require a restart. So it's faster.  I would love to be able to run Photoshop and CC apps on the same operating system. The flip from Windows to Mac is not optimal - that's all. I would love to use the Mac for all of it. Five years ago this would have been a much more difficult problem but with the advent of the Intel Dual processors for Mac things at least work now.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Yeah, thankfully PCs have dropped quite a bit for what you get these days (can't speak for Macs as I haven't followed their history). What I called a 17" monster years back for $3000 is nothing compared to the beast I got now for $1249. It's an expensive hobby to keep up w/ technology. :p One thing I never considered before was resale value, as Macs hold up well. Try to sell a PC for a few hundred and people would more likely buy a new Dell for a bit more. Then again, I always assume I'll run anything I buy into the ground, much like my 11-year-old car that's most likely worth less than my laptop. I see you added your own smiley as well, oh sneaky one. I didn't think an animated one was offered in these forums http://www.coffeecuphelp.com/adam/images/emoticons/giggle.gif

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.