Google site mapper - Your sitemap is...

User 471275 Photo

Ambassador
1,130 posts

Spinny
Google webmaster tools is handy in too many ways to go into here. I would have advice you to go have a look and read online what you can do with it.
You will need a gmail account to actually work with it, but that is easy to create.
I mainly use it to get the verification code, place the verification code in the meta tags and then verify the site. You can also add your sitemap there and if there is a mistake in the sitemap google master tools will help you correct it.

Another good tool from Google is the link below, specially when you are trying to find the right keywords for you meta tags. You do not need to sign up to adwords to work with this. Just do not click on the add on the left. You can test various keywords and combinations of keywords for seach volume etc. A lot of Seo people use this tool.

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

Awesome, thanks. Actually my primary e-mail account is at gmail, my others are just aliases that point there. I shall certainly be reading up on this!

For what it's worth, in endorsement of SiteMapper, I now manage three domains with web sites, all built in VSD. After submitting the sitemaps, one of them is number one on the Google search on the title, and another comes up at number four (but numbers two and three refer to it). The third is still too new for the spiders to have indexed it yet, it appears, and the title is extremely common so I'm not expecting much.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

(Just wanted to add it's amazing how much I learn from this site) :cool:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 150656 Photo

67 posts

ad99wd wrote:
Sticker I also use the site mapper and am very happy with it. I am not sure what you mean by Google's own application? site mapper does submit the sitemap to Google.

Google webmaster tools (free) include a site map creator and automated submitter fuction also - essentially the same function as Coffee Cup's (although a lot of work is removed with the Coffee Cup app)
User 471275 Photo

Ambassador
1,130 posts

I use Google webmaster tools for other things, but I prefer CC site map creator then Google's as it indeed is a great software :)

User 1750231 Photo

25 posts

I am also having problems with Sitemapper. Google had been okay with my sitemaps, but now, all of the sites for which I've used Sitemapper are not working properly in Google Webmaster Tools.

All of those sites generate the same error message: "We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit."

I have been making sure the sitemap files go in the root directory. It bears noting that those sitemaps had been working previously. It also bears noting that the sitemaps for all my other sites, for which the sitemap files were created using something other than Sitemapper, are showing up just fine in Google Webmaster Tools.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Michael Matera wrote:
I am also having problems with Sitemapper. Google had been okay with my sitemaps, but now, all of the sites for which I've used Sitemapper are not working properly in Google Webmaster Tools.

All of those sites generate the same error message: "We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit."

I have been making sure the sitemap files go in the root directory. It bears noting that those sitemaps had been working previously. It also bears noting that the sitemaps for all my other sites, for which the sitemap files were created using something other than Sitemapper, are showing up just fine in Google Webmaster Tools.

Also make sure you don't point your URL to www.mydomain.com/sitemap.xml but then inside of your sitemap all of the links are not pointing to mydomain.com (no www). Google is very picky about that.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 1750231 Photo

25 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Also make sure you don't point your URL to www.mydomain.com/sitemap.xml but then inside of your sitemap all of the links are not pointing to mydomain.com (no www). Google is very picky about that.

Thanks, Scott - though I'm not sure I understand this. I used the sitemap generated by Sitemapper - shouldn't it know the proper way to write the URLs? All I did was enter my site address: http://www.mysite.com and let Sitemapper map my site.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Did you look at your XML file and verify that?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 1750231 Photo

25 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Did you look at your XML file and verify that?

Yes - everything looks right in the XML. But, as an experiment, I tried another sitemap generator, and had the same problem. I think there's a server issue. It's odd, because several of my other sites are on the same server and they have acceptable sitemaps as far as Google is concerned. Plus, the ones having problems now had been working fine - then all of a sudden Google didn't like them. I've been updating and resubmitting, to no avail.

Oh, well. All my sites' pages - including the ones with sitemap issues - still come up fine in the search engines, including Google. I also manage sites with no sitemaps and they've long done fine. Perhaps sitemaps are overrated - or at least that's what I'm going to tell myself rather than worry about this.

In any case, thank you Scott!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.