ANYONE EXPORTING THERE .CSV FILE FROM...

User 113629 Photo

36 posts

By design, Excel will only put quotes around fields that contain a delimiter character rather than wrapping every field with quotes. The SCC import snafu was a mistake made by CoffeeCup coders who expected a standardized CSV file and didn't fully investigate how Excel saves CSV files. The "common sense" coding approach doesn't always match what happens with third party software.

If you open a CSV file in Excel you will not see the quoted text. Excel converts the text fields automatically to fit into columns.

Try opening the file in a text editor like notepad (if the file is small enough) or CoffeeCup HTML Editor so you can see what SCC will be attempting to import. You need to see the "raw" text, not the converted text viewed in Excel or any other spreadsheet software.

User 113629 Photo

36 posts

Oops, had that post sitting on my screen all day and finally remember to post it. Now I see that Scott has uploaded an update.

David, I don't think you are reading what Scott has been saying about removing the image references from the file you are having problems with. SCC only imports simple text info, you can't include HTML references or any additional coding in the fields.

If you are copying & pasting your content, try pasting into CoffeeCup HTML Editor ( or any text editor that isn't word processing software) so you don't pick up any special characters or text formatting.
User 2118376 Photo

43 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
For me, using Excel, Numbers or Google Documents always creates a valid .csv file. I never had to make any of those changes suggested by Bill.

Did my fixed csv file work for ya?

I unzipped your file and put it on my desktop opened Coffee Cup and imported your file and as you can see from the photo the Long Description came up as Number signs
Attachments:
User 2118376 Photo

43 posts

When I open your csv in excel and then save and try to upload it I get that same error

Column 16 not valid.
Reason: This field is a different size than the header.

Column 17 not valid.

Column 18 not valid.

Column 19 not valid.

Is this refering to my Columns in the sheet # 16-17-18-19 which realates to forceoption, category, parentcatagory retailprice?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

That is because in the file you gave me, #### were in the longdescription column.

The file I attached earlier still opens fine for me here. No errors.

I am really interested in finding out why you have so many issues with the importing. I don't think it is an SCC issue but more in the process you are exporting you csv file.

Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2118376 Photo

43 posts

Scott I understand that it works for you, what do the error codes mean that CCP is returning to me when I try to upload? If I knew what it was seeing I might be able to go look and figure this out.

Column 16 not valid.

Column 17 not valid.

Column 18 not valid.

Column 19 not valid.

It says the Colunm is not valid, it says the This Field is a diffrent size that the header. What do these specifically mean?

Dave
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

That means your columns and content are not lining up correctly.

Column 16: Optional field 5
Column 17: Force user to select an option
Column 18: Category
Column 19: Parent Category

In the fixed file I sent you, everything is lined up correctly.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2118376 Photo

43 posts

I opened up your CSV file in excel and just saved it when I try to import it after that I get this error. Attached are the 2 files. Your original and fixed1 which is your file I opened up in excel and then just resaved it and it gives me the errors stated early.

Look at the 2 files in notepad they appear exactly the same, what did excel do to the second file? Every space, comma, word seems to be perfectly identical.
Attachments:
User 2118376 Photo

43 posts

I am downloading Open Office I will see if this will work I dont understand why this is blowing up on my system. I create csv files all the time for Pinnical Cart and it sucks up thousands of items with no problems. I really want to move all my new clients to your CCP but I have to have the abiltity to Go from an excel sheet to .csv
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

David Malton wrote:
I am downloading Open Office I will see if this will work I dont understand why this is blowing up on my system. I create csv files all the time for Pinnical Cart and it sucks up thousands of items with no problems. I really want to move all my new clients to your CCP but I have to have the abiltity to Go from an excel sheet to .csv

One or more of your rows appears to be off, but I am not sure which one. I deleted each row from the fixed1.csv except for the SKU 9587 and it imported fine, so the issue must be in one of the other entries.

Also, your longdescription still has #### in it.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.