Installation bug of Shopping Cart...

User 684314 Photo

14 posts

Getting the following error message when attempting to install Shopping Cart Creator Pro 3.8 build 341 on Windows 7 Pro x64:

"The version of Shopping Cart Designer you are trying to install (3.8) is not compatible with the version of Shopping Cart on your system. You must download and install Shopping Cart Creator 3.8."

I do have installed Shopping Cart Creator Pro 3.8.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Robert,

Do you have the same build installed? In other words, when there are updates to one of the 4 programs for the Cart system, there are usually updates to all 4 of them to keep them compatible, so if you didn't install the build that was released when the Designer program was released, try installing that one first and then do the Designer and that should fix that issue. I'm just assuming this might be the problem here so if you did install the Cart 3.8 version just before the Designer 3.8 let me know and then you might need to contact CC with a support ticket on this one if it persists.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

You probably also have Shopping Cart Creator BASIC installed as well. You will need to either uninstall that or upgrade it to version 3.8.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 596588 Photo

42 posts

I did get the same message, and I just uninstalled SCC basic, since I don't use that anymore. That cleared it up.
User 684314 Photo

14 posts

Hi Jo Ann and Scott,

SCC Pro 3.8 was installed, but as the two of you pointed out I also had the basic version installed which had not been updated.

Scott, it would be very helpful if the error was more clear as to which installation (and its location) is causing the problem. It would be even more helpful if the error offered to take the user to the download of the latest version of SCC, or at least to the login page pointing to the user's download page. ;c)

Thank you both,
Robert~
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

The alert did say though what to do exactly "The version of Shopping Cart Designer you are trying to install (3.8) is not compatible with the version of Shopping Cart Creator on your system. You must download and install Shopping Cart Creator 3.8."

The alert did say though that it was not compatible with the version of Shopping Cart Creator you had installed. If it would have been a problem with Shopping Cart Creator Pro, it would have changed the application name to that in the alert box.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 684314 Photo

14 posts

It did NOT differentiate that the software it detected was the STANDARD version; the error simply stated that the problem was Shopping Cart Creator. In fact, I *did* have a compatible version, Shopping Cart Creator Pro 3.8. Your software failed to properly verify that there was indeed a proper version on the system.

Which brings up another interesting point: why didn't the PRO version detect the STANDARD installation and offer to uninstall it or upgrade it? That would also have solved the problem before it was a problem.

Please stop defending the problem and simply fix it. It's not like it is difficult or time-consuming. Nor is it expensive in terms of paying your programmer's costs for a few minutes at best.

Thank you,
Robert~
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Robert Reese wrote:
It did NOT differentiate that the software it detected was the STANDARD version; the error simply stated that the problem was Shopping Cart Creator. In fact, I *did* have a compatible version, Shopping Cart Creator Pro 3.8. Your software failed to properly verify that there was indeed a proper version on the system.

Which brings up another interesting point: why didn't the PRO version detect the STANDARD installation and offer to uninstall it or upgrade it? That would also have solved the problem before it was a problem.

Please stop defending the problem and simply fix it. It's not like it is difficult or time-consuming. Nor is it expensive in terms of paying your programmer's costs for a few minutes at best.

Thank you,
Robert~

The dialog was actually telling you exactly what to do. If you see the name "Shopping Cart Creator" that means the dialog is referring to the BASIC version (the word PRO is not there). You can also have both the BASIC and PRO version installed at the same time because these are two separate programs. You just need to keep your SCC installations up to date or you will have that issue when you install any of the Designer versions (which is what the alert was telling you).

If you don't plan on using the BASIC version of Shopping Cart Creator, simply uninstall it and that alert would disappear.

So you see, it is not a bug. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do. ;)
User 2055969 Photo

9 posts

Didn't really think Robert's tone was necessary but I wanted to mention that I ran into the same thing.

I didn't realize I had installed the standard version a long time ago. When I got the message I re-installed the shopping cart creator pro version thinking that would aleviate the issue. Of course I got the same message again.

So I jumped in here and saw that there might be an issue with standard versions and that's when I discovered I still had the old shopping cart creator (standard) lurking out there. I guess I was always under the assumption that once I installed Shopping Cart Creator Pro it would tidy up and take care of the standard version that I assumed that I no longer needed.

I'm not saying whether the process is right or wrong, I am merely explaining my thought process during the same event. I've been working with computers since I was 14 (I'm 41 now) so I've been around the block once or twice and can see why people might make some of the assumptions that were made.

After reading this thread I am wondering if there is any reason why someone would want to keep both the SCC standard and the SCC pro installed? Would it have to do with how themes or other settings are stored that aren't passed along in an upgrade process from standard to pro?

Just curious :)

Thanks to all the previous posts that helped identify the issue. Your time and efforts are appreciated!

H
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Hugh,

Coming from the standpoint of making websites for other people, one major reason might be that the person you're creating a shop for is only planning to purchase the basic version so they can do their own updates after you have the shop up and running, so you'd have to create their shop in that version. Some may be using Pro version or planning to buy that version and wants all the bells and whistles so you make their shop in Pro version. Need both installed to do that.

Since they are totally separate programs it stands to reason that the install and uninstall would be separate processes for each. The Pro version is not an update to the Basic version, it's an entirely separate program that isn't connected to the basic at all. If it were, then having it uninstall the basic version would make sense. Since it's not, it would be pretty forward of CoffeeCup (or any software company) to uninstall the Basic version when you install the Pro. What if you didn't want it uninstalled? Would be more hassle that way than it is by treating it separate.

Just my thoughts on it :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.