Wasting valuable time - Page 3 - Post...

User 43448 Photo

43 posts

To be quite honest, I really can't get my head round it anymore.
I have not touched my page file by the way.

Thanks anyway,
Frankie.
UPDATE: This may be important!!!!

I have just noticed that, when I open a web page which has not been made/edited in CC, eg. a page I saved from the net or a HTML file that came with a program, I do not have the problem and CC works smoothly.
Does that ring any bells?

I usually open from the same place, ie. where the files for my own web site reside.

Hope that helps,
Frankie.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Weird. So, what if you save pages from the web to the place where you normally save your web site files? Do they start acting up as well? That might help narrow down whether it's the content of the files vs the location. Why the location would matter, I'm not sure, but it's worth a try. :P Might've left out a detail like the web site folder has sync software in the background. ;)
User 43448 Photo

43 posts

Believe it or not, Adam,
I copied my entire folder conyaining my web site pages from "My Documents" to the C:\ root folder, and the problem is gone.
The only thing that happens after I click the "Preview" tab is a quick flash from the cursor from arrow to hourglass and back, and maybe a delay of 1/2 second, but apart from that, it seems to be OK now.

However, if you have any idea what could have been the cause, please let me know.

Thank you for all the advice everyone has given me so far.
PS. There is quite a presence in my "My Documents" folder, about 50 Gb.

Frankie.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Wow, well, I'll pray there isn't an update reply that the next time opening, it's back to its old tricks. ;)
User 433092 Photo

5 posts

I have the crashing problem too - for quite some time now, as a matter of fact. VSD crashes upwards of half a dozen times an hour, and unless every alteration is saved as I work, it's lost.

System - Dell XPS M1710 running XPS/SP2. I have no issues with any other programs.

Support advised me to bypass my virus scanner (Kaspersky) by intsalling VSD in safe mode. Frankly, I shouldn't have to bypass my virus scanner for anyone - to do so is folly - but I did as they asked, and the problem still persists. As to firewalls - the crash happens at almost any opportunty. Why would VSD be accessing the net anyway? I'm working and viewing from local folders.

Are we still in beta land?

Regards,

bp
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

BP,
I have a question for you if I may. Kaspersky anti-virus are you using System Mechanic also? I have XP SP2 I.E.7 I also have System Mechanic 7 with kaspersky anti-virus software 3-300Gig HDD 2 gig ram. with no problems. I was wondering if maybe you have have system mechanic that the firewall was not allowing the program to function becasue you didn't set it, also i have these running as I work in VSD, and have not encountered any problems. I did notice one that when using using SM7 that it turned on the windows firewall but thats here nor there. just throwing my 4 cents worth (inflation)

User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Hey bp, what version are you using of VSD (latest should currently be 5.8.5)? Installing in safe mode is a new one to me, but the majority of software installations recommend temporarily closing all other running apps and disabling antivirus during install, whatever may interfere basically. I don't know why a firewall would be an issue either in this case, but let's focus on what does happen and see if we can narrow anything down.

Do the crashes happen consistently or when during a certain thing/process? Is it when you add an image, or use a certain tool? The only crash I've seen recently was when adding an image, but this was from a certain release that was quickly updated (5.8.2? maybe .3, I forget). If you can consistently repeat any steps that cause a crash, be sure to let us know to try to recreate it.
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

try this again.
well nevermind lol.

User 433092 Photo

5 posts

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

No not using System Mechanic. In fact, I've tried turning the Kaspersky firewall off, the KSP Privacy Control off, Proactive Defense off , and even the real time scanner itself off, but none of this helped.

bp

Bruce wrote:
BP,
I have a question for you if I may. Kaspersky anti-virus are you using System Mechanic also? I have XP SP2 I.E.7 I also have System Mechanic 7 with kaspersky anti-virus software 3-300Gig HDD 2 gig ram. with no problems. I was wondering if maybe you have have system mechanic that the firewall was not allowing the program to function becasue you didn't set it, also i have these running as I work in VSD, and have not encountered any problems. I did notice one that when using using SM7 that it turned on the windows firewall but thats here nor there. just throwing my 4 cents worth (inflation)
User 433092 Photo

5 posts

Hi Adam

And thanks for the reply.

Ok. Just got the latest was using 5.8.3. Successive upgrades haven't stopped the problem so we'll see how I get along with 5.8.5

I'm about to uninstall 5.8.3, clean out some directories and reg entries, and then install 5.8.5 a fresh, with all other applications closed. (I think - with the benefit of hindsight - the guy from support has a good point re installing in safe-mode...it might be the only way of making sure non of the Kaspersky drivers are running.)

In the meantimes... the crash can happen at any time (less so running under admin but still too often). I can be copying or moving or editing blocks of text... I could be clicking an HTML window or even just moving a picture or text box. Ftr, here's what Kaspersky reports at the time of the crash...

22/03/2008 02:04:55 Process (PID 2912) tried to access Kaspersky Internet Security process (PID 560), but the action has been blocked by the Self-Defense component. No action on your part is required.

Event Viewer reports: Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 22/03/2008
Time: 02:04:38
User: N/A
Computer: XPS1
Description:
Faulting application vsd.exe, version 5.8.3.0, faulting module vsd.exe, version 5.8.3.0, fault address 0x000429a7.

And this always happens. First the faulting module, and a moment later, the Kaspersky error (in fact Kaspersky reports two very similar errors at the same time.

Will report back in a couple of days and let you know if the changes have helped.

Many thanks,

bp

Ok I've just closed down too XP services that might not be helping either - Windows Sec. Centre, and Windows Firewall (disabled).

Adam R. wrote:
Hey bp, what version are you using of VSD (latest should currently be 5.8.5)? Installing in safe mode is a new one to me, but the majority of software installations recommend temporarily closing all other running apps and disabling antivirus during install, whatever may interfere basically. I don't know why a firewall would be an issue either in this case, but let's focus on what does happen and see if we can narrow anything down.

Do the crashes happen consistently or when during a certain thing/process? Is it when you add an image, or use a certain tool? The only crash I've seen recently was when adding an image, but this was from a certain release that was quickly updated (5.8.2? maybe .3, I forget). If you can consistently repeat any steps that cause a crash, be sure to let us know to try to recreate it.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.