HTML Editor 2008 pre-release - Page 3...

User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Ok, I started redesigning my index page from ground up, checking it every step of the way with the W3C validator. It had perfect validated code until I added the first table. Interesting.

So I suppose if I were a software designer, I would test the whole visual design tab of the program, back and forth between that and the code window and validator, until it made perfect validated code every time the visual tab was used to design things.

Make sense?
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

This is so exciting. I'm learning how to not only design, but fix my own code now. I'm rewriting the index page now, and validating it every step of the way, and learning how the heck to fix each thing it says is wrong. Yeah!
:)
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Melissa@Forethought.net wrote:
Also, I noticed that every once in awhile, the program keeps changing all my valign=middle back to valign=center, all by itself. It drives me bonkers and I keep changing it back, only to have it show up later as valign=center again.

Is this program set up to make automatic changes without permission, when I haven't done anything?

Ok, I have more info on this now. Every time you change the position of something with the visual interface, then go back to the code and save it, it changes all incidences of valign="middle" to valign="center" and I have to go replace them all with middle again.

Bug?
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Melissa,

Yes, fixing the errors does provide satisfaction.

I just checked your code, and notice one of your images has a space in the URL. That may cause problems with some browsers. Check line 86 for "LOGO 2-26-08.jpg" You can either remove the space, or replace it with an underscore line to remove the space.

Keep at it, and soon it will really become fun.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Going back and forth between the two editors is not recommended. The visual editor uses absolute positioning and a different code set then the code editor. It is highly recommend you only use one or the other. You can go back and forth but the changes you mentioned will occur.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 103554 Photo

25 posts

Do I need to uninstall 2007 before installing the pre-release of 2008? And does 2008 handle non-Roman Unicode characters OK? I'd love to get back to using CoffeeCup for my hobby page, but as I have a devanagari line at the bottom of the page, I've been unable to use CoffeeCup for some time now.
User 103554 Photo

25 posts

OK, so I decided to hedge my bets and uninstall 2007 anyway. I then installed 2008 pre-release 2 and found that the preview window shows the devanagari unicode characters correctly, but the code editor window shows them as "#2365" etc. I am also still unable to simply paste in Unicode characters from other documents. So while I'm keeping CoffeeCup for sentimental reasons (I've had it for nearly 10 years now), I must sill wait for it to have proper, full Unicode functionality before being able to use it again.
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

billr wrote:
Melissa,

Yes, fixing the errors does provide satisfaction.

I just checked your code, and notice one of your images has a space in the URL. That may cause problems with some browsers. Check line 86 for "LOGO 2-26-08.jpg" You can either remove the space, or replace it with an underscore line to remove the space.

Keep at it, and soon it will really become fun.

Well W3C says my pages are all compliant now. Does that really matter then?
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
Going back and forth between the two editors is not recommended. The visual editor uses absolute positioning and a different code set then the code editor. It is highly recommend you only use one or the other. You can go back and forth but the changes you mentioned will occur.

Oh I didn't mean between the visual and code editor in Coffeecup HTML Editor 2008, I meant that I was trying to fix the code problems in that editor by opening the file with Komposer and trying to clean up the code that way, but I found out it uses different character encoding.

It got so botched up that I finally had to redesign that index page from scratch last night, but then was able to figure out how to debug it myself, and now my whole site is W3C compliant.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 103554 Photo

25 posts

Melissa@Forethought.net wrote:
I meant that I was trying to fix the code problems in that editor by opening the file with Komposer and trying to clean up the code that way, but I found out it uses different character encoding.

How can you determine what 2008's default character encoding is? I have been forced to use KompoZer because it allows me to work with Unicode in a way that HTML Editor 2007, and apparently 2008, does not. If there were some setting in 2008 to change this I would do so in a heartbeat, but I can't find one.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.