HTML Editor 2008 - how can I keep it...

User 404575 Photo

887 posts

I just downloaded the actual release of Editor 2008, congrats guys!

We also just got, in the mail today, a big envelope from the PTO, containing our new federally registered trademark certificate. Yay!

So I opened HTML Ed 2008 and went to put in the registered TM symbol on our main web page, as a little test.

Couldn't figure out how to get it in there, so I popped over to the forums and searched, and found an old post from someone, asking how, and someone answered that they should check out the character tab on the left. How cool! Good job!

So it pops in the & #174; ( but all together ) for me, which appears as the registered TM symbol on my site. Great!

Now all I gotta be able to do is make the TM symbol into smaller text, and superscipt it too, which I don't seem to be able to do with valid code with <sup> and </sup>.

But then after a couple of saves, something in the code editor section itself turned that into an actual symbol on my screen, AND it quits working when I preview my page after that.

How do I prevent that from happening and keep it as & #174; in my raw code?

I'm also still having it automatically change all my valign="middle" into valign="center" when it saves, and I have to change them all back. You told me why, but I still wish you could fix that puppy.

But at least I used Shortkeys to make macros for both, so I can replace them all quickly and easily, after the rest of the stuff is debugged with W3C and saved before uploading. :)
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 465126 Photo

40 posts

You know Melissa, I was having some issues too. For me it was with the Copyright symbol. Seems like the Editor for whatever reason does things automatically to some codes and tags at times. Hopefully Coffee Cup looks into these bugs, because the software is great! Im loving it.
However, I noticed that my pages were just not coming out right on IE and Firefox and noticed that the default DOC type is set to Transitional and its only a partial DOC type, which throws browsers into Quirks mode. So what I did was put in a full DOC type of Strict HTML and everything is working much better and my external CSS is working great also.
Check a couple posts down and you'll see that I posted a similar bug that has been happening to me (which I have now corrected through DOC type and adhering to web standards). So to answer your question, you might wanna start coding in STRICT mode and follow all the web standards for HTML 4.01. It might fix your issue. Good Luck!
User 78330 Photo

198 posts

Tools > Preferences > General tab

Go to 3rd section down to Initial Document Type and change it to XHTML 1.0 Strict

Click on OK to save.

All new pages will have the correct Doc Type from then on. On existing pages just C&P the new code in over the old.
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Philip Lench wrote:
Tools > Preferences > General tab

Go to 3rd section down to Initial Document Type and change it to XHTML 1.0 Strict

Click on OK to save.

All new pages will have the correct Doc Type from then on. On existing pages just C&P the new code in over the old.

All my pages are done in the old doctype though, will it require massive work?

I've learned how to use the W3C validator and make all my pages W3C compliant now, which helps how they look in various browsers.

But there are some things which Coffeecup was using an automated module from Microsoft for, which is no longer supported by Microsoft, and that was what was buggering up my valign="middle" codes into valign="center" which was not valid. It's a pain in the butt, and I too like this editor and hope they can fix it, but it didn't sound too promising the last time I talked with them about that.

I wonder if it's that same module that's changing the trademark raw code into its results on me and botching it up.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,073 posts

Melissa wrote:
All my pages are done in the old doctype though, will it require massive work?

Changing to an xhtml doctype won't change any of the behavior you're currently having trouble with. Unfortunately, CC HTML Editor also doesn't produce valid starting code when you use the xhtml doctype as it produces an improper opening html tag.

I ended up creating my own template for a 4.01 strict starting page.

I was under the impression that the HTML Editor could save utf-8, but not load it correctly. It seems it still only saves ANSI, so you might want to use charset=iso-8859-1 instead of utf-8 in your meta tag if you're only using English or Western European characters. This seems to fix the problem of the rendering of the trademark, at least in the internal preview.
User 130978 Photo

Ambassador
3,025 posts

I noticed this was happening, too, but since upgrading, it has not changed the copyright numeric code on my text files that are in server side includes on the bottom of the page.

Here is a suggestion for making it look more "normal"

This is Registered<span style="vertical-align: super; font-size: 11px;">®</span> Also, the forum seems to change the & # 174; (remove spaces) to the symbol....

You will have to plop that into an html page to see the effect...does not show here...

Check out here: http://www.thetreasurebox.net/registered_test.html

I chose 11px as the registered symbol is a bit smaller than the text on the page...going much smaller than 11px makes it pretty "blobbish"

It validates for HTML 4.01...not sure about XHTML...
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Another way to get your circle-R would be to use &reg; and that should also validate.
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

billr wrote:
Another way to get your circle-R would be to use &reg; and that should also validate.

For some reason it was showing up as only those characters when I tried that.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Melissa,

I just tested it again, and it still works for me. Here is a link so you can see how I did it. I even copied the code Melanie posted and put it on the page.

http://www.coffeecuphelp.com/broberson/trademark.html
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

billr wrote:
Melissa,

I just tested it again, and it still works for me. Here is a link so you can see how I did it. I even copied the code Melanie posted and put it on the page.

http://www.coffeecuphelp.com/broberson/trademark.html

What CC Editor is doing is; if I just save the file it's ok. But if I save it before validating it with the W3C button, then it changes it from numeric code to the symbol and screws it up.

It's that darned Microsoft module they're using in there, the same thing that changes valign="middle" to valign="center" on me.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.