HTML Editor 2008 Crash - Page 2 -...

User 293374 Photo

35 posts

Heather,

Did they ever fix your problem?

I'm running Norton AntiVirus 2008. It's up-to-date. I just ran a scan and I don't have a virus. I'm also running Windows Defender. It's also up-to-date, I just ran a scan and it didn't pick up anything.

And yes - you are right. After clicking on the error messages... maybe twenty times... HTML Editor shuts down.

Thanks.
Shane.
Windows 11 Home
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Heather & Shane,

It would be interesting to know what you two have in common that I don't have?

I am running HTML Editor on three different computers, so if the two of you have something in common that is not on one of my three computers, we may be able to isolate the cause.

Of course, it may be that it is a combination of things that trigger the cause, and if the two of you have a specific combination that I don't have, that may help isolate the problem.
User 360998 Photo

35 posts

I'm running XP Media Center Edition and still Service Pack 2. I have automatic updates, but MS hasn't put SP3 on my machine, yet. I have McAfee.

Bill, the problem doesn't happen EVERY time, which is frustrating. Perhaps I have too many files or programs open at once. Saving a file is what triggers the error.

Heather
User 293374 Photo

35 posts

Bill R.

I'm also running Google SiteMapper, Live Chat, PixConverter, and StyleSheet Maker.

Thanks,
Shane.
Windows 11 Home
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,474 posts

You had me curious, so I took and old laptop with XP, upgraded with Sp3 and HTML Editor 2008 and had a go at creating a project from existing files. I followed Bill's procedures, and I had no errors.

This was on an old laptop which has recently been reformatted, and hardly any programmes installed apart from Office 2002, an image editing prog and Norman Virus protection. And now the html Editor.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 293374 Photo

35 posts

This is strange...

I uninstalled a trial version of Live Chat 6.0, and then HTML Editor started working. But when I installed a registered version of Live Chat, HTML Editor stopped working again.

6.0 was released on May 1, 2006, so it is fairly old. I wonder if that might be the problem.

Shane.
Windows 11 Home
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Shane,

If uninstalling Live Chat 6.0 will fix the problem, then it is likely that Live Chat 6.0 is the cause for your computer.

There may be another cause for Heather's computer.

Have you given this information to CoffeeCup? It may help them duplicate the problem. I do not have Live Chat installed, but maybe I can install it tomorrow and see if it creates a problem for me.
User 293374 Photo

35 posts

Bill R.

I've reported this to Support.

I didn't notice this before, but the problem only seems to be affecting .php documents. I can save .htm and .html files.

Thanks,
Shane.
Windows 11 Home
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Shane,

I also use PHP files, but I don't remember if I used PHP for the test I performed.

I will test saving a new PHP file when I get home tonight and have access to my SP3 machine.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

HeatherMac wrote:
I'm running XP Media Center Edition and still Service Pack 2. I have automatic updates, but MS hasn't put SP3 on my machine, yet. I have McAfee.

Bill, the problem doesn't happen EVERY time, which is frustrating. Perhaps I have too many files or programs open at once. Saving a file is what triggers the error.

Heather

Heather,

At this point in time, Microsoft does not appear to be pushing the SP3 down on the automatic updates. Probably because it is a large download. I also have automatic upgrades, but once in a while, I will click on the Microsoft Update to visit their site and see what they have. You can also find updated drivers for your hardware by using the online upgrade check.

If you do decide to download something from that site that applies to your hardware, but sure to save your computer rollback point. I once did an upgrade from the hardware area that eliminated my video capture capability.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.