Cliff Main wrote:
I didn't do it though, I designed the whole thing in HTML Editor 2007, upgraded to 2008, and then ran the cleanup thingie too. I thought it would fix everything up for me.
People here talk like I did this all myself, when I just used the Visual designer in there.
When you say you designed it in html 2007, I assumed you used the code editor.
No, I designed it from scratch using the visual part of HTML Editor 2007, then upgraded to the 2008 pre-release.
I'm not knowledgeable enough with HTML to do the code myself, that's why I needed the visual interface. In fact I started out using VSD but it couldn't do tables for me, like the new menu I designed in HTML Editor.
But if it wasn't for the visual part of HTML Editor, I wouldn't be able to do this at all.
Then you say you used the visual designer section....ok there is the problem. The visual designer will create different code than the code editor to accomplish the same tasks. When you ran the code thru the code cleaner, it tried to fix what it might of thought was "bad" code, because the visual designer tries really hard to code things where you want to put it, so the code might not be as "clean" as it could be.
Without knowing much about the html code, I can now see why it would be so difficult to clean up the code based on suggestions from w3c.
Oh yeah. And my site looks totally different in Microsoft Internet Explorer than it does in Seamonkey, which may be because of the bad code.
When I bought this, I was hoping that I could design stuff using the visual part, then have it write the correct code for me, that would be fine with W3C. That would be the ideal thing for someone like me. I'm a process server, not a web designer, but I can't afford to pay someone $5000 to design my site for me, I have to do it myself.
I will try to explain what I mean when I said there were "extra characters". That might have been missleading. When you ran the code cleaner, it somehow replaces some items that are not valid in your web page, using the doctype and charset values. Sometimes these are blank spaces or ' or - things like that that are not part of what a validator will accept. Replacing those by typing it into the code of the page fixes them. The best way I can show you is if you do this:
Go to your web page
Bring your mouse cursor to the top left of your web page
Left click and drag your mouse accross and down on the top few inches of your page.
Notice the blue highlighted areas that are either on the far left of the page, or the small blue rectangle that appears around the lette "E" of the word "SERVERS"? The cursor is trying to highlight things you can't see in the web page. You might have to try this a couple of times before you see the effect.
I now understand that it is not you who did the code, and that does help explain why it happened. That's why I asked if you copied and pasted the code into the page, because it has the same effect. This is not something that can be fixed using the visual editor tab.
Ok, I see.
Well I don't know quite what to do now. I have to design the stuff myself, can't afford to hire anyone, yet I need to be able to learn to fix the errors.
One of the big ones is the Character Encoding call-out, which HTML Editor does automatically, but apparently isn't seen right by various browsers and doesn't pass W3C right.
OS Windows 8.1