Absolute newbie needs help with...

User 507558 Photo

6 posts

Hello to all.

I am a totally inexperienced webmaster on an existing website. The job became mine when no one else wanted to try to do it, and I volunteered. I'd always had luck learning software, and have been around computers since 1968. The website is that of a cultural organization that has seen some problems, not the least of which are the sudden departure of the person maintaining the site.

Coffee Cup 2008 was purchased because it looked like the easiest program to use.

My operating system is WinXP - Home Edition.

My software is Coffee Cup 2008, build 242, a registered version.

Website URL is: http://www.filamidaho.org/

What is needed quickly is to post a couple of forms on the page on the website that you get to by clicking on the link in the left hand column to "forms and documents". Additionally, I would like to find out how to replace most of the event coverage with something more current. The software wants me to put in a username and password, but also asks for a server. What is the name of the server that gets put in?

Thank you for any and all help.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Terry,

Are you wanting forms that you fill out while on-line? If so, you can use the CoffeeCup form builder. It works great.

You need to have the FTP user name and password to FTP the files to the website. When you start, the nickname is for folks using more than one site. Just put in something that indicates the website.

Username is the name associated with the FTP user. You may need to get this from your hosting company, and they may give you a new password.

Password is for the FTP to the site.

For the web server address, just try using filamidaho.org

That may be all you need to do, but give this a try and get back to the forum if you need additional help.
User 507558 Photo

6 posts

Thank you Bill, for your reply.

The forms are just MS Word documents that folks can download to sponsor an event or get compensated for mileage utilized in support of the organization. How are they inserted into the web page?

Thank you,

Terry
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Terry,

Personally, I would convert the Word documents to PDF, but that is a personal choice. Using a PDF will eliminate issues associated with someone not having MS Word installed, and if they need the PDF reader, it is a free download.

Decide where you want to put the link. At that location, use something like <a href="mileage.doc">Mileage Compensation Form</a>

That will cause the words "Mileage Compensation Form" to be a link to the form and they should get a box asking if they want to download the form or open the form with MS Word.
User 507558 Photo

6 posts

Bill, again, thank you for the reply.

I'd forgotten about PDF, and how it goes across platforms, in spite of using it regularly to read stuff. Thanks for the idea.

How would you insert the forms on the existing page for forms using the wysiwyg function of CoffeeCup?

Thanks,

Terry
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Terry,

Click where you want the new link to be located.

press hole the CTRL key and press L then release both keys

Enter the words you want displayed, and the URL as a minimum. You may want to also enter the title and status window message.

That should do it.
User 507558 Photo

6 posts

Thank you agan, Bill:
It looks like that would add a link, but where would the document come from and how would it get to the page where readers could select it and open it?

I'd prefer that the documents be on the website, my computer is off for major portions of the day, and the firewall would stop all sorts of access anyway.

I kid of got the impression that I could drag and drop or copy and paste the documents to the web page in the wysiwyg function of CoffeeCup.

Thanks,

Terry
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Terry,

Use and FTP program to upload your files. If you want to put all the forms in a single folder, you can use the FTP program to create the folder named forms and put all the file there.

Then you could use a URL of /forms/document.pdf and the form could then be downloaded from that folder.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.