Support for 120 dpi in VIsual Site...

User 469761 Photo

8 posts

It looks as thought sites designed with Visual Site Designer are rendered incorrectly on systems configured for large fonts (120 dpi).
I designed my site on a system set to the default of 96 dpi, but immediatly began to get feedback of problems from others. It turns out that any system that is set to large fonts will have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution to this?
User 469761 Photo

8 posts

In my opinion this makes Coffee Cup software pretty useless. With larger, higher resultion screens, people are increasingly using higher dpi settings. Any page created with CC won't display properly. There is obviously a way to avoid this, as 99% of sites that I try behave properly.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

It is not an issue with the software, it is an issue with the font you use. Make sure to use only Web safe fonts and you should be ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web-safe_fonts
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,075 posts

Everything should work fine if you define your font sizes using ems and percentages. If you're using pixels or points to define font size you'll run into problems.
User 469761 Photo

8 posts

Scott:

The font choosen has no effect, (I'm using Ariel). Check your own templates at 120 dpi. As Cary mentions below, it has to do with how the font size is specified. I'm not an HTML programmer, but I expect more from the VP of development than this. Your software is broken. Stop making excuses and giving me worthless advice and fix it. Sorry that I'm a little annoyed, but I just spent about 40 hours and $40 building a website that is worthless and now I have to start over with something that works.

Please don't bother responding until you have actually investigated the problem.

Start here... http://clagnut.com/blog/348/

Cary:

This is a wysiwyg editor. I have no control over how the fonts are defined.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

While you have valid concern, the rudeness and disrespect is completely unnecessary. I do see your point though. After changing the DPI to 120, boxes of text go beyond the boundaries, either overlapping or going off the page. Being blessed with good vision (so far), I hadn't tested the sites in 120 DPI before.
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,075 posts

I see what you mean. I tried the trial and saw it uses only pts for the font sizes and only seven nonstandard sizing choices.
User 469761 Photo

8 posts

Adam:

Sorry for the theatrics, but I am pretty annoyed. I would have delt this with more gracefully if I didn't have so many people trying to tell me to rtfm after I had spent several days figuring this out and getting questions from potential customers asking why my website was so screwed up.

All I'm looking for is a simple answer so I can decide whether to wait for a fix from CC or rebuild my site with another program.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

This isn't a problem with the software, it has to do with the font size your using. When you use Custom DPI settings, it increases the font size of everything. To correct for that, in VSD you need to set a smaller font size. You can even test this in a browser to see that it will work by going into Decrease Text size and everything will work.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 436416 Photo

87 posts

Scott Swedorski wrote:
This isn't a problem with the software, it has to do with the font size your using. When you use Custom DPI settings, it increases the font size of everything. To correct for that, in VSD you need to set a smaller font size. You can even test this in a browser to see that it will work by going into Decrease Text size and everything will work.

Scott:

The problem of using PX instead of, say, PT or EM, for font sizes is that IE doesn't know how to scale them. With Opera or Firefox, the font scaling works with PX.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.