Web Access Manager and Google Sites?...

User 2253323 Photo

2 posts

I am not a very web savvy guy (which statement illustrates my amazing ability for understatement...). Talk of web servers and HTML, etc., makes my head spin. I'm really hoping there is a simple solution to my issue: I have built a simple web site using Google Sites. I want to require user login for some, but not all, of the pages. So: (a) can Web Access Manager be used with Google Sites? And (b), if it can, can I use it on a "per page" basis?

And (c) if Web Access Manager won't meet my needs, does anyone know of anything else that might? I'm experimenting with AuthPro, but I'm having some difficulty with it.

TIA...
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,461 posts
Online Now

I have only glanced briefly at 'Google sites', and I found that Google has its own way to make pages private, but then it is for all the pages of the site.

I think you can do the following: Get either CC HTML Editor (if you can code in html) or Visual Site designer (Shortened VSD, if you want to use drag and drop) in combination with the Access manager, then use the S-drive feature to upload your pages that you want to have protected. From your Google site you just link to the log-in page on the S-drive.

I haven't tried this myself, but it should work.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2253323 Photo

2 posts

Not only does Google's protection scheme protect the entire site but it also requires users to have a gmail account, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

OK, I think I follow what you're trying to tell me. I would sign up for an S-Drive account. I would use VSD to create pages that would be hosted on the S-Drive. Now, a question: rather than having the pages I want protected on the S-Drive drive with a link to the login page from Sites, could I have only the login page on the S-Drive and have a successful login link back to my Google site? I realize the lack of security in this method, but I'm not really trying to protect against a determined hacker, I'm just trying to protect against the casual unregistered person who happened to reach a protected page.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,461 posts
Online Now

I don't think that back link would work. The protected pages are normally in a folder, and that folder is protected. But I'm not absolutely sure if this is correct, so I'll see if I can get someone with more expertise dragged over here to your problem. ;)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Google Sites offers very limited amount of things you can enhance with it. It is really just designed to make a website and that is it. WAM will not work there. You really should just purchase a normal web hosting account.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.