Shopping Cart Software...do I need...

User 2261661 Photo

13 posts

Hi again from the most undecided person on the planet!!! I am STILL figuring out which software pack is best for me to buy for my needs and I am wondering if one of you brilliant webmeisters could help me decide. As I am about to begin a full-time college course in web design, I wanted to buy the pack that will allow me to create as many types of websites for people as possible. I am undecided as to whether to go for the Super Pack or both the Web Designer Pack plus the Extras Pack. I suppose the burning question for me is: can I use the Shopping Cart software packages to create e-commerce stores for people or are all the Shopping Cart packages only suitable for people creating their own shops which they can manage themselves. Sorry if the questions are dumb but I am only beginning and really am confused about which route to go down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The second question is, I want to create a website for a friend of mine but she wants to manage the content herself. She has an account with a hosting company so should I create all the html files and upload them to her server and let her take over from there? Someone mentioned using the S-Drive but I am a little confused how that would be of benefit to her....all help welcomed! Thanks!!

Catherine from Ireland
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Get the Super Pack.

People create shopping carts for others but they will need a licensed copy to edit it once your done and send them the files they need to work on it.

You can upload the files to her server. S-Drive just makes it easy to upload from CC apps.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 2268018 Photo

1 post

Yep, he is right.
User 235972 Photo

55 posts

S-drive is ok, very slow uploading though! I use S-drive for streams only.
I use a hosting company for hosting sites as FTP is quick as & its very easy to edit pages in FTP if needed. :D

Letting clients manage their own?? I dont do that, I give them 2 options either I do the lot or find someone else. Not worth all the hass, they'll end up ringing you and buggy the crap out of you, for what, because they wanted to get cheaper hosting. Not worth it, send them somewhere else if thats the case.

Go the Supa Pack, this gives u everything you'll need to publish great sites. I mostly use VSD, Shopping Cart Pro, Webform, Calendar, Search, Sitemapper, S-drive, photo gallery and flash firestater & html editor. When i was starting out i was in the same boat, didnt know wether it was worth spending $250 on something i new very little about but let me tell you, it was worth every penny!!!!

Not only is it easy to use, you get lifetime updates on all your software!! and theres plenty of backup service!! Where else can you go and get a responce from the director of the company!!

I like CC a lot :D

Hope this helps Catherine
It aint about how hard you hit, its about hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. THATS HOW WINNING IS DONE!

www.viperonline.com.au
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Jason Whitewood wrote:
S-drive is ok, very slow uploading though! I use S-drive for streams only.
I use a hosting company for hosting sites as FTP is quick as & its very easy to edit pages in FTP if needed. :D

Are you uploading direct from program, using CC's FTP or some third party FTP??? I've not seen any 'slowness' when I was uploading during the start up phase. More info would be good, especially if you could open a trouble ticket so CC can look into it. They are wanting to optimize the speeds to S-drive, so input about issues could help them out.
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 235972 Photo

55 posts

Roger that phil.

After i've built the site in VSD all i do is hit the publish button which then uploads to my S-Drive.

Just seemed to take way longer than publishing it via FTP to a hosting company. Like FTP would be done in less than 3 minutes and Sdrive would take approx 15-20min!
Go FTP everytime :)
It aint about how hard you hit, its about hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. THATS HOW WINNING IS DONE!

www.viperonline.com.au
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,192 posts

It doesn't really take any longer for VSD to do the actual uploading but VSD needs to compare the files on the server with those in your vnu to see which ones have changed so it can update those that have.;)
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.