RSD: template or type of master page...

User 2466413 Photo

22 posts

Will the VSD responsive replacement have that capability? Or will we have to set them for every page?
Sorry, I don't have RLM and did not download the trail. Yes I've seen the posts and reasons to get started.

Thanks - Donald
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Donald,

With RLM you can easily setup a Master Page and then use that page to duplicate it for other pages. You can set up multiple ones if you want to even. Keep in mind though that this would only be within the given project. You cannot transfer a Master Page to other projects.... but ....

You can setup a Base project file that you can use. Just create a project, setup some default pages that you want to be able to use in each project, save that project and use it as a template to start each new project. This will give you the ability to have each site have a good start right off the bat and you can then edit and manipulate the layout as needed for each of the pages.
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

Since RSD hasn't yet been released, we are not sure whether it will be template-based or not. (This is a user-forum, not support staff from CC that know more details.)

You said you already saw the posts about getting started, but let me urge you to start using RLM. You can use RLM to develop your templates.

Jo Ann's method is a good one for having a template from which to work. Various programmers/designers work in different ways. What Jo Ann described works for many people. I work a little differently (unless I misunderstood what she was saying). Here's what works for me to create responsive templates for my sites using RLM.

I design each site in RLM and then export. As I am designing, I don't think in terms of pages. I think in terms of layouts. Often, many pages of the site will use the same layout. What I've found is that (with the exception of very large sites) most sites only have 2 or maybe 3 layouts that the pages use. Therefore, I don't have to design every page in RLM. Instead, I design the 2 or 3 layouts needed and then export.

After export, I add extra items (navigation, sliders, etc.) and tweak the layout until it is what I want. Then I begin with the actual content. See the post here for a bit more info.
http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/respons … -with-rlm/

ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including personal or group training for Site Designer, Web Form Builder and more via Zoom.
Email me at support@uscni.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

To add what Brian said, it has been released that RLM layouts can be imported and used in RSD. So, you really cannot go wrong starting with RLM now.

Basically, RLM creates your framework ( template ) then you export that and add your content using HTML Editor or some other program. What RSD is suppose to do is complete the process in an easy manner. You import your RLM layout and can then add your content and visually see it right away. Ooh, I can't wait! :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.