Putting it together - Post ID 165689

User 2263310 Photo

2 posts

Hello
I'm a rookie at building sites and until now have used Webeasy 8. I'm looking at learning the next step which brought me here.
The question is How exactly do the different programs come together?
For instance if one uses the site builder to make the basic site and then uses a shopping cart program, what links them? Does the shopping cart program simply make a web page that you include in the overall design?

The same question would be on other programs in the package. Do they interact with each other or do they create their own output which in turn have to be incorporated into an overall package?

Hope I'm asking the question right.
Thanks
Jim
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Jim,

Not sure exactly what package you're talking about, but for the most part each of the programs is a separate entity, they don't totally integrate with the others, but they give you the ability to create the items you are wanting from it and then upload the files and insert the code it gives you. Usually not a very difficult thing, but takes a bit of getting used to at first.

The Shopping Cart Creator programs are a different species entirely since they don't just create the shopping cart itself, but the site entirely for the cart. You can link an external site with your cart by linking them within the menu, but it's still mostly just a link in the menu (you can create your home page outside the cart and link it as the home page inside the cart too so it can mesh pretty nicely), but it's still an external system and the 2 menus will be different. Still it works very well this way for many and it's not a hard thing to do once you figure out that there are themes for the Shopping Cart Creators and themes for the HTML Editor or VSD which can be matched to the Cart themes so you have a good place to start in matching the external pages to the cart site.

Hope that helps, and if it is any consolation, we've all been where you are, and the community here is an awesome place. If you decide to go for the purchases just holler when you're stuck, and someone is almost always around to help out at some point. Customer service with CC is also top notch so it's definitely a worthwhile investment.

Not to mention updates for life for each program you purchase :)
User 2263310 Photo

2 posts

Thanks
With the webeasy I never had to mess with html but it comes at the price of limitations on what you can do. Looks like It's time to crack open the book and do a little learning.

So do I understand correctly that fi you put together a menu with the flash menu builder the result is code?. And the html editor is used to insert that code into the web pages?

I'm leaning on getting the Super pack which seems to have everything I'll need and a few that aren't.
The first page I might tackle is the railroad club I belong to. The site is a bit aged and needs updating. This is it currently:
http://starr-mrc.org/
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

A lot of the programs CC sells will create all the files it needs and display the code you need to paste into the HTML Editor. Just make sure you FTP these files up to server, along with the html files.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.