Help please finding an alignment...

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya,

I am using CCHE to create a site for local local Literacy Council. I chose one of the layouts from the program and began to build. I created a 2nd "content" setting for one of the pages and so far all was good to go. The page the separate "content" setting is on is the Events --> In the Works page. All I changed there is the left margin of the body content so it would be closer to the menu on the left. This page isn't affected by the margin problem of the full page though so I don't "think" this is the problem but... who knows lol.

Now I see that I have a few pages that are not lining up on the left margin the same a the index page is, and for the life of me I can't find the problem. I know it's probably some stupid thing I missed somewhere, but if someone could please *begs profusely* take a look at the pages and see if you can figure out what is wrong I would be extremely grateful.

The really strange thing is that this is only on the pages that I haven't actually put content on yet or done anything to other than adding a heading for page construction with a graphic. I've tried taking that out and it didn't fix it so I put it back in. The pages currently affected (or maybe it's the other way around and these are correct and the others are affected? dunno lol) are:
Members, Benefactors, Thank You and Helpful Resources
These are the pages that don't line up with the others, or the others don't line up with these, I'm not too fussy which one is correct, just trying to get them the same which they used to be and not sure when it changed.

http://northbaldwinliteracycouncil.org

This is a works in progress so a lot of pages aren't finished yet lol, but it's getting there if I could just find this darn alignment issue.
Please let me know if you need any other code or something pasted here to help.

Thanks for any assistance you can do for me on this :)
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hmm I tried to edit the post but there is no edit button (which I am almost sure there was earlier?) sooo... sorry for the bump but I needed to add something strange to this, maybe this is a bug rather than a problem?

I edited the members page of this site just now, and all I did was change the default gobbeldygook text that is in there (basically all the latin stuff) with the real text of the site and now that page doesn't do that indent at all like the rest, so this page is now fixed? I'm really confused because I can't see anything in the default text of the layout that would do this?

Bug maybe in the editor? I dunno, I just know that whatever it is caused me about 3 hours or so of trying to decipher what the problem is :/
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

While this post won't help you with your real problem, it will confirm that you are not totally losing your mind :) There is an "edit" option on this forum, but it only lasts for about 15 minutes. This is to help with keeping threads 'flowing' as a conversation, as opposed to someone answering a question and then the question gets edited and is in no-way related to the answer (making it difficult at best to understand what's happening).
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 133269 Photo

2,900 posts

Is the problem simply that some pages are longer than others - and therefore get moved over a little for the scrollbar to appear?
Have fun
~ Fe Pixie ~
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

HAHAHA now that's too funny, I can't thank you enough for pointing out something so silly I should not have even missed it LOL. That seems to be exactly what it is.

I guess the question now is:
Is there a way to keep the scrollbar from changing the page like that? Or is it some default thing we have no control over? Obviously I need the scrollbar to be there for the longer pages, I will actually try now to make my pages all long enough to have a scrollbar on it just for the sake of keeping them seemingly the same. I haven't worked much with things like scrollbars though, so I don't know if there are things that can be done to control how they affect your pages or not.

Thanks big time for helping me find that little nasty irritation as it really has been on my nerves and I really should have noticed that one myself *smacks self to pay more attention* :)
User 133269 Photo

2,900 posts

yep - there are some css settings to say if the scrollbar shows or not and what it looks like - but they're not compatible with all browsers so seem a bit pointless to mess about with - i think making your pages all long enough for scrollbars is probably a better option ;)
Have fun
~ Fe Pixie ~
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

yeah, I'll see if i can just insert some blank or invis graphics or some blank area to extend it for now :)
User 133269 Photo

2,900 posts

the css setting
min-height:
might be useful
Have fun
~ Fe Pixie ~

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.