Where is the tab order? - Post ID 200163

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Paul Williams wrote:
For what it's worth I agree with John. When faced with a multi column form I think it's entirely intuitive to work down one column and then go to the top of the next, not go from left to right across the columns.

The fact that I can no longer create a form that does this has meant I've ended up with a form that's messy and doesn't work nearly as well as the previous one created with the flash version. For example, the verify email field is placed underneath the email field however you lay out the form, meaning you end up with a double height box in the middle of a form of otherwise single height fields. Not good.

That goes against all web design principles Paul. While you may think that is more intuitive, you would be going against 20 years of pre-set web design rules. You read left to right, not top to bottom.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 1660399 Photo

2 posts

It's not reading, it's filling in a form. When you fill in a two column hard copy form you do one column then the other. Who decided it should be different on the web?
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Well to argue both sides here, it's actually both ways and totally dependent on the content of the form really.

If the fields are setup to go from left to right, then the tab should be left to right. If the fields are setup top to bottom it should go top to bottom.

Having said that... Scott's way is definitely the definitive way things have worked on the web for as long as I can remember. If there are fields to the right of a field the tab has always gone to that field and to the end of that column and then to the next line. Never seen a setup yet that didn't unless the user set it up specifically (like we used to be able to do, not sure if we still can? Scott?).

I personally would love the ability to setup my tab order myself like we did in the older version, but just getting all that reinstalled again today so I'll see if it's still there if someone hasn't already answered that question for us here. We used to be able to specify our tab order in the Flash version, mostly because it didn't behave as it should though lol. It used to keep the tab order of the originally created fields and if you moved them around it didn't reorder the tab fields for you so you had to go in and reorder them as you liked them to be after you were done creating the form.

I would love to see that feature back myself (if it's gone that is). Totally forgot about it, but I bet once the Conditional Fields are released it will be nice and handy to use the ability to reorder them as you like them to be.

In the end though, this would be a feature request *hint hint and points to the Suggestions thread for this program* rather than a bug or problem. Scott is entirely right on the order of web forms. Remember that it's not like filling out a paper form, there's a definitely order of operations when it comes to web forms and left to right is the correct way.

If you still can't picture this then picture this instead:
When you read a form "hard copy" as you said above, you can see the entire form at all times for that entire page. This means you can fill out anything any way you like.

When you read a form on the web you cannot always see top to bottom all the way down and therefore it's been much more convenient for the users to read and fill out left to right and work their way down the page instead of having to go all the way back up again (some forms can be extremely long). Much more inconvenient that way so left to right is much more efficient and therefore the standard.

Create your form left to right and you'll be just fine.
User 18194 Photo

Ambassador
289 posts

Jo Ann makes a good point.. another example where web standards don't 100% match the old pen and paper. A minor issue somewhat related I found in playing around that I can't seem to set the focus to start on a drop down menu. The first item listed is the text input box to the right of the drop down selection. Anyone else see this? (Maybe I should open a new topic, sorry if this is considered a hijack

--Mitch
--Mitch
Long time CoffeeCup user, lover and ambasador !!
Mitchell Baker AMA 7548 GSWA WB251 10th AF USSMA 358
Webmaster Terre Haute R/C Club http://www.thrcc.org
US Scale Masters Director of Administration www.scalemasters.org
Proud member of the 1/8th Air Force http://www.oneeighthairforce.org

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

As far as I know GhostRider, within the program that is, you can only set the focus to those Group Names listed in the Form Options tab of the form. If you look there there is a Autofocus setting. What ever is listed there is what you can choose that autofocus to be when people first encounter your form.

Other than that you "may" be able to alter that in the files themselves, but I haven't delved that far into it as of yet.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.