Multiple Buttons - Post ID 176707

User 428198 Photo

10 posts

Hello,

How do you add a second button in Web Form Designer?
I just can't image having a form on my website without a cancel button.
Please help!!
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

What kind of button? Do you mean file upload button or something like a reset button? If a reset button, you cannot unless you manually adjust the HTML markup once you export the form. For a file upload button, just add another one to your form.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 428198 Photo

10 posts

I would like to add a cancel button to my form in case the user changes his mind.
I can not see where you can add buttons.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Frank P wrote:
I would like to add a cancel button to my form in case the user changes his mind.
I can not see where you can add buttons.

Why would they change their mind? :)

For that you would have to add a reset button to the HTML markup.

<input type="reset" value="Wait, I changed my mind, delete every thing!"

:)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 428198 Photo

10 posts

Your suggestion for a reset button simply clears the fields. I was tailing about canceling the whole deal and dismissing the form. Anyway all this is way off the point, I still see no way to add a second button, regardless of it's intended purpose. You can add all the fields you want but your stuck with one button unless you want to edit the page markup. But wait, I can create the whole darn form in the page markup if I wanted to. I thought Web Form Builder would make my life easier... :(
User 2077947 Photo

40 posts

Hi Frank,

I tend to read all these threads with interest, as it gives me other people’s ideas that I may wish to incorporate into my forms but I must admit that your suggestion has me slightly puzzled.

The old version had a reset button and I must admit I'm glad it isn't in the new version, although, granted, maybe it could be incorporated as an option.

The trouble with reset buttons is that there is always going to be one person who clicks it by mistake, then all there data has gone!

Believe me; I've had more than one customer do it on the old version of my form.

This is my new style form for ordering a skip online:

http://www.skipy.co.uk/skip_order_form/ … _form.html

Imagine, on the old version (with reset button), the customer has worked their way down the form and then blindly clicked reset by mistake (their own silly fault, I know!)

We ask our customers how easy they found it to complete the form and the main complaint with the old version was that it wouldn’t open on an ipad etc. followed by 'clicking the reset button by mistake'.

However, with this new form (no reset), we have had 100% positive feedback and I'm still working on improving it! :D

With regard to a customer wishing to cancel the deal i.e. they realise that the overall cost of their skip is greater than they anticipated, they have the option of amending their choice or simply not submitting the form and clicking the back arrow.

Surely, whether I am purchasing an item from Amazon or completing a survey form, I can cancel the process at any time up to the point where I click; submit your purchase/order/form/data.

Hence, why would I need a cancel button?

If you mean a different type of button, what type do you mean?

Please don't think I'm getting at you, I'm not! I am just very curious, as a fellow user, why you feel or you feel the person completing the form, needs another button?

Robin

R K BAILEY
User 428198 Photo

10 posts

Hi Robin,

I understand that every once in while a user may click the reset button by mistake. Heck, I've done it myself, more than once. I've also hit the curb parking more than once. But I don't advocate doing away with curbs.

Now suppose you have a 27" (or larger) monitor and you are all the way at the bottom of the screen. Why force the use to mouse all the way to the top to hit the back arrow, which you may have to hit 2 or 3 times in Safari, when you can have a cancel button sitting there just in case the user changed his/her mind. As a Safari user, I hate the back button as it doesn't work all the time. Often necessitating 2, 3 or 4 clicks before it works.

Another example is where a user clicks the login button but realizes he/she doesn't already have an account. I always have a "Create an Account" link just below the "Log In" and the 'Cancel" or "Wait, I changed my mind, cancel every thing!" button. But Web Form Designer doesn't allow for that either.

If a web form designer creator is against reset buttons, he/she can elect to not place one on the screen. For the life of me I can not understand why it is so hard to understand that in certain circumstances two, or possibly 3 buttons are required. I am sure you remember the old Yes-No-Cancel button sets. Sometimes they are still required.

Robin, I appreciate your response and hope CoffeeCup Software engineers will considering allowing Web Form Builder users design and build the forms they and their customers require. At the end of the day allowing multiple buttons can only enhance WFB. I appreciate any other thoughts you may have regarding web form design, but I doubt if you will convince me to join the "One-Button" club.

Thanks,
Frank

PS: I just couldn't help but notice there a two (2) buttons just below this edit area. Even CoffeeCup Software occasionally need more than one button.:)

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

For those of you trying to add other buttons, this may help. I would imagine there are a good handful of buttons that can be manually added, so read through this thread (first page, posts by Philatgr8) who tells how and has a video he made that is very good and explains very nicely how to add more buttons to your forms.

Ignore the thread title, took me a while to find this because of that too lol. I'll get this into the Tips & Tricks today sometime also.

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/web-for … -behavior/

Hope that helps and hopefully CC will give us them options in an update in the future :)
User 428198 Photo

10 posts

Hi Jo Ann,

Thanks for the advice. I followed the thread and watched the videos. Absolutely nothing looked like the WFB I am using. I noticed in the video there was a way to add additional buttons. That option certainly don't appear in the Macintosh version I am using.

Of course you can add buttons in DreamWeaver... Actually you can do the whole form in DreamWeaver, eliminating the necessity for WFB all together. I was trying to make my life easier using WFB. If I need to use another app to finish what WFB won't allow, I might as well just use the other app for the whole project. Would you not agree? Why design, save, export, import, cut, copy, paste etc. when you can simply drag a button where you want it and set some parameters in the other application?

I feel like I'm missing something in this whole thread. Is there only two of us in the whole world who occasionally need multiple buttons on a form? Please understand that not all forms simply need to be submitted. Additionally, what about adding a link to a form for cases as I describe previously. I guess I can manually code that in too, but if WFB had the option it would save me some time and thinking. I await your reply and expertise.

Regards,
Frank
User 2077947 Photo

40 posts

Frank P wrote:
Hi Robin,

I understand that every once in while a user may click the reset button by mistake. Heck, I've done it myself, more than once. I've also hit the curb parking more than once. But I don't advocate doing away with curbs.

Now suppose you have a 27" (or larger) monitor and you are all the way at the bottom of the screen. Why force the use to mouse all the way to the top to hit the back arrow, which you may have to hit 2 or 3 times in Safari, when you can have a cancel button sitting there just in case the user changed his/her mind. As a Safari user, I hate the back button as it doesn't work all the time. Often necessitating 2, 3 or 4 clicks before it works.

Another example is where a user clicks the login button but realizes he/she doesn't already have an account. I always have a "Create an Account" link just below the "Log In" and the 'Cancel" or "Wait, I changed my mind, cancel every thing!" button. But Web Form Designer doesn't allow for that either.

If a web form designer creator is against reset buttons, he/she can elect to not place one on the screen. For the life of me I can not understand why it is so hard to understand that in certain circumstances two, or possibly 3 buttons are required. I am sure you remember the old Yes-No-Cancel button sets. Sometimes they are still required.

Robin, I appreciate your response and hope CoffeeCup Software engineers will considering allowing Web Form Builder users design and build the forms they and their customers require. At the end of the day allowing multiple buttons can only enhance WFB. I appreciate any other thoughts you may have regarding web form design, but I doubt if you will convince me to join the "One-Button" club.

Thanks,
Frank

PS: I just couldn't help but notice there a two (2) buttons just below this edit area. Even CoffeeCup Software occasionally need more than one button.:)

Right, I see it more clearly now and yes, maybe extra buttons should/could be incorporated as an option.

Not being a Safari user, I'm not aware of the problems. with IE9, it's click the back arrow using the cursor or keyboard.

One thing still puzzles me slightly, are you planning on incorporating the 'Create an Account', 'Log in', 'Cancel' buttons into the actual web form or into the web page?

Cheers

Robin

R K BAILEY

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.