Help! I just deleted my Outlook...

User 126492 Photo

Ambassador
1,524 posts

Backing up the .pst file from Outlook 2007 is pretty easy, the problem is when you come to restore it is that it doesn't put all your email accounts and passwords back, you have to set them all up again.

All your email accounts and passwords are stored in the registry, what you could do is just back up that one registry key from within the registry key, kinda easy you would think, but no, because if you install Outlook on another computer you won't be able to import the accounts because MS creates a different key each time, don't you just like them.

In versions prior to Outlook 2003, you could import and export email accounts, why they took that feature out is anybody's guess.

This method on my page for importing and exporting from OE is a bit long winded, but it is fool proof.
http://www.freebits.co.uk/backoutlook.html
Jim
---------------------------
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

NOTE (for those who may later, selectively, be reading bits and pieces from this thread): My earlier suggestion about treating the .wab file as a 'regular file' for backup and restore of the OE Address Book was a bad idea, as I have now been informed. It could lead to nasty surprises at the 'restore-' end of things!

The only reliable way to do this, apparently, is to use the export and import functions within the program.

For details, go to Jim's link in his post above: http://www.freebits.co.uk/backoutlook.html

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Tassie,

You might want to search google a bit too if you don't have the full Outlook and only have access to the Outlook Express version. There may be lots of ways to backup your emails and contact lists and addons and such that can be used. I'm very sure when I used OE that I was able to back it up, but then it was many years ago too and it had the features built in. Not sure why they would even think to remove such important things as backup and restore settings from the program, but there is most likely a way to do this that could be found in a search.

If you're prone to removing that file accidently at times, I would definitely look into something to help you safeguard against it or at least be able to replace it easier :)
User 92156 Photo

272 posts

Jim Cantrell wrote:
...In versions prior to Outlook 2003, you could import and export email accounts, why they took that feature out is anybody's guess...

Jo_Ann wrote:
...Not sure why they would even think to remove such important things as backup and restore settings from the program...

Because they're Microsoft, that's why. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't have to go looking for a plug-in to backup/restore such an important program, it should be available out-of-the-box via a clearly positioned button and with a wizard or dialogues to inform you of progress.
Tom I don't hate MS, I like MS Office, but I do reserve the right to place a picture of BG on my dartboard and to have a little voodoo doll of him that I stick pins into every evening.
Doesn't EVERY sane clear-thinking person do this? Bwaaah ha ha etc.
User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

Bill Gates doesn't bug me too much, but Steve Ballmer :o really makes me want to shut off the computer.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.