Website Project Dependencies - Post...

User 1974115 Photo

6 posts

I have (almost) completed a website Project using HTML Code Editor. There are six files are in the My Websites Tab, each file looks good in Preview, each file seems to test fine using Tools/Test Using Default Browser, and each file has "passed" the W3 html Validation.

The last step before uploading to a server seems to be to Check /Fix Website Dependencies; and therein lies the "rub".

When I Check Website Dependeencies; multitudes appear, and I'm unsure what to do regarding the (right click) options for each/any of them: "Edit Reference", "Ignore Warning (Delete)", and, "Find and Copy File to Website Project".

When I "mouseover" any of the "missing local file' it shows the path of a file that is in the Website Project folder, thus the "Find and Copy File to Website Project" option seems irrelevant??.

When I select "Edit Reference" on any of the dependencies; I'm taken to a location within one of the files in the Project. Most of them I'm take me to one of the internal link locations i.e., "<li><a href="About Us"><b>About Us</b></a>", that links to one of the pages/files in the project. W3 says there's nothing wrong with the html codes, so what "reference" to edit??

And I don't think I need to "Ignore Warning (Delete

Anyone out there have experience / suggestions about "Dependencies"?
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

David Eastland wrote:

When I select "Edit Reference" on any of the dependencies; I'm taken to a location within one of the files in the Project. Most of them I'm take me to one of the internal link locations i.e., "<li><a href="About Us"><b>About Us</b></a>", that links to one of the pages/files in the project. W3 says there's nothing wrong with the html codes, so what "reference" to edit??

The first thing I'd suggest you take a look at is this:
In your code for the links, e.g.: <li><a href="About Us"><b>About Us</b></a>,
the content between the quotes in ( href=" " ) should be the file name (e.g. about_us.html) of the page you are linking to, not the title of the page. So, if the file name is (for example) about_us.html, the code would be:
<li><a href="about_us.html"><b>About Us</b></a>
Also watch out for capitals and spaces in file names (there shouldn't be any, to keep it safe and simple).
I believe the W3 validation checks the code in an individual page, and would not pick up on errors in the link references.
User 1974115 Photo

6 posts

Per,
Thank you so much for your help. The fact that those references needed to be the actual file name, i.e., "index.html"; rather than the page title completely went over my head. I fixed them and that fixed the Dependencies problem.
de
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

You are most welcome, David. I'm glad it turned out to be something quick and simple to fix!
User 2649247 Photo

11 posts

Hi All :),
In my project I have heaps of file names with parameters on the end -
(<a href="../maps/map1877.php?x=2580&amp;y=5130&amp;z=75&amp;hotspots=xml-district-lots-1877"target="iframe3">1877</a>
All files work fine and there are no broken links, but when I do a project dependencies check I am getting multitudes of missing local files which I believe are caused from the parameters which makes it real hard trying to scroll down through the list and identify any genuine dependency problems.
Is there a way to do a dependencies check without the checker picking up on all the parameters attached to the file names ?
I hope I have explained this clearly :(
Regards
Wazza

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.