Visual Editor Hangup - Post ID 90610

User 486215 Photo

79 posts

I posted this previously in the WRONG Forum, Web Design & Development. It is copied below:

The Visual Editor of the HTML Editor hangs up the program when editing a file from my web site. The Code Editor and the Preview always work just fine on this file.

I tried to duplicate a previous error on this same file where the HTML Editor aborted on a .dll fault with something about "access violation", but I am now unable to reproduce this phenomenon.

The Visual Editor seems to work okay on my other files built for this web site.

You can view the web site and do a "Save Web Page Complete" in some web browser to get the source for the HTML file. You should be able to duplicate the problem in some way. I did this and got the same error as I did with the original HTML source file on my computer. BTW, it happens in both the old and new versions of the HTML Editor!

The web site address is: http://frantom2002.web.officelive.com/index.htm

I am the guy that built the other web site that Scott said he liked:

http://tomfran.web.officelive.com

No problems here. However, that was built with the Visual Site Editor!

Here's something I discovered after posting the thread above.

The source file index.htm contains large numbers of completely blank text lines in the HTML. This doesn't prevent a web browser from interpreting and displaying the web page correctly because it is treated as "white space".

I removed all the excess blank lines with a simple text editor and was then able to use the Visual Editor on the file without problems.

The blank lines were not in the original template for this source file, but seemed to be added through my repeated modifications to the file with the HTML Editor (and probably the use of the Visual Editor).

I hope this gives you a clue where the problem may lie and how to fix the software so it is not vulnerable to handling bad input data files.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.