Totally lost-Need to edit home page...

User 2656912 Photo

17 posts

Thanks for the help guys. It's been interesting but I'm throwing in the towl for today. I agree that we need to start over with something new. I also think it needs to be managed by someone else though I would not be opposed to doing it myself if it is easy enough. I will dive back into this again later but I think I have looked at every single file in the database and I just don't understand it.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,462 posts
Online Now

The easiest would be just plain html and css and a straight-forward folder structure. You'll find us here when you are ready to take the plunge! :)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 603315 Photo

938 posts

Rex C wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. It's been interesting but I'm throwing in the towl for today. I agree that we need to start over with something new. I also think it needs to be managed by someone else though I would not be opposed to doing it myself if it is easy enough. I will dive back into this again later but I think I have looked at every single file in the database and I just don't understand it.

There probably hasn't been one of us on here, that has had days like this where you just can't get to grips with something, sometimes next day it all works out and you wonder what the problem, hope you can get it solved soon
User 2656912 Photo

17 posts

Stillllll trying to get this working. I did something that looked promising at first. I opened the home page in the HTML editor using "open from web". Then I made a minor change to test with (just added ...) in the editor and saved that file as index.html. I then uploaded that file to the root of the website with the FTP tool. Navigating to the homepage I see that the changes show up! However, navigating to another page that would also include this home page text shows that the changes do not populate throughout. Oh well...keep trying I guess.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,462 posts
Online Now

This is either due to some includes, or it is a very weird CMS...
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2656912 Photo

17 posts

Inger wrote:

CMS?
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

Rex C wrote:
Inger wrote:

CMS?

Content Management System wordpress/joomla etc
User 2656912 Photo

17 posts

G'kar wrote:
Rex C wrote:
Inger wrote:

CMS?

Content Management System wordpress/joomla etc

Ah, okay. Thanks!
User 474778 Photo

215 posts

Rex C,

Should be clear by now that (1) people on this forum are quite willing to help you, but (2) there are aspects of the current site's implementation (such as where in the filesystem hierarchy are the files) that require privileged access to your Web host. If your job includes fixing or replacing the current Web site, you must either make the personal investment to learn your way into Web technology or hire someone trustworthy who has that knowledge. Either choice involves time, cost and risk.

There is another subtle issue, too. The Web world divides into two broad camps, Microsoft-proprietary and open-source. The .asp files in your site represent a telltale of the Microsoft approach. For historical reasons, users of Coffee Cup products tend toward the open-source approach, and larger corporations with big budgets tend toward the Microsoft approach.

IMHO, your company is best served by designing and creating a new site, based on latest non-proprietary standards and suitable for screen sizes from mobile 'phones to desktop monitors. You would get a head start by re-using the content from the present site.

If you want to do this yourself, Coffee Cup's "responsive design" products and the HTML Editor offer a good deal of help toward getting a site to appear as intended. However, Coffee Cup's products do not address the problem / opportunity of dynamic, database-driven Web site behavior. You will need to apply server-side and client-side programming as well as server-side database management if you'd like to offer dynamic features, for example limiting content visibility according to user name / password login.

Some of the more popular dynamic behaviors are embodied in "content management systems." For instance, I operate a CMS-based site incorporating about 2100 documents of three distinct types. The particular CMS I favor uses ordinary HTML and CSS as its templating system, which allowed me to apply Coffee Cup's products to its visual design.

You can also experiment on your own PC locally, without exposing your work to the public until you want to. Check out WAMP (for MS-Windows) and XAMPP (for Linux). These are non-proprietary, open-source tools that I have used. I cannot suggest Microsoft-proprietary equivalents since I have never investigated them.

I suggest you spend some rainy afternoon Googling these topics, then talk them over with your management. It is better to understand what you are getting into instead of backing into it one tweak at a time.
halfnium -AT- alum.mit.edu
Yes, I looked just like that in 1962.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.