Suggestions for CoffeeCup HTML Editor...

User 2200796 Photo

45 posts

I would think it would make most sense to have either an "Open/Import Word HTML" command or a "Clean Up Word HTML" command. Either could be a separate module or tool invoked. If it's a separate utility, that's fine.

This is needed for HTML from Microsoft Word, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and probably WordPerfect. I'm told WordPerfect produces cleaner HTML, but I haven't seen/tried it.

Since word processor files often are sent to be put into web formats or ebook formats, and since this often falls to the wearers-of-many-hats Jack/Jill-of-all-trades people who use the HTML Editor, it really would be a help.

From the man on the street, make it easy for me to use perspective, maybe it would be better (smarter?) to have the utility (or module) import directly from a Word .doc, or Open/Libre .odt, or WordPerfect's native format. However, that could get into a whole can of worms with format usage licensing that CoffeeCup would rather avoid.

(Nevermind that it would be so much simpler if the word processors would output clean HTML / other web formats to begin with. That has not happened since this whole newfangled "world wide web" became big in the 1990's. I don't really expect any word processor to wake up and get some sense, any time soon. ...Likewise, Adobe Illustrator's SVG output. Bleh! ...grumble, grumble...)

Pretty please? ;)
http://www.shinyfiction.com/
Writing, Editing, Artwork, Audio, and soon Fonts
User 2200796 Photo

45 posts

By the way -- If my tone in my posts above, such as about the non-English, sounded overly grouchy/combative/etc. -- It really wasn't my intention to growl at / attack anyone, such as the CoffeeCup programmers. It's just my level of frustration coming through. -- I'm just one guy, and I'm supposed to keep up with all the nuances of all the things a web designer is supposed to master, and it's (of course) a constantly moving target, like a school of fish or a swarm of bees, more than a blobby single amoeba. Most of the general public has no idea of any of that and doesn't care, as long as the designers (you and I) wave our magic wands and it all works and looks the way they want it. (And really, they shouldn't have to be bothered. That's why we're there.) -- Naturally, many of the people who use the HTML Editor and CoffeeCup's other programs are a broad mix, anywhere from savvy designers to newbies getting their feet wet. (They're doing web pages with their feet? Wait, isn't there something odd about that, unless they're monkeys?....Hahaha.) -- Well, anyway, the user base for CoffeeCup's products is bound to be a very wide range of talent. Nothing at all wrong with being the sole person doing the work, and nothing wrong with being a beginner. I feel like a beginner more often than I'd like, and I'm supposed to have some idea of what I'm doing....) ;D -- So, if my tone came off as a little heated, I didn't mean to direct that *at* anyone. (I could be worrying about nothing, here, but in retrospect, it sounded like I was blowing off steam, and I was. I just didn't intend to blow up *at* anyone.) ...Yeah, what a mess, huh? :)
http://www.shinyfiction.com/
Writing, Editing, Artwork, Audio, and soon Fonts
User 601710 Photo

114 posts

Ben W. wrote:
... I still need a Code Cleaner that can properly change text case, indent reasonably, and do things like HTML4 / XHTML 1.1 / HTML5 conversion, and even Word HTML cleanup. ...
I've never tried the following since I haven't had to convert a Word file to HTML yet, but would be interested on how well it cleans a Word file:

Convert Word documents to clean HTML: http://word2cleanhtml.com/
Ron
User 469268 Photo

80 posts

Ron wrote:
Ben W. wrote:
... I still need a Code Cleaner that can properly change text case, indent reasonably, and do things like HTML4 / XHTML 1.1 / HTML5 conversion, and even Word HTML cleanup. ...
I've never tried the following since I haven't had to convert a Word file to HTML yet, but would be interested on how well it cleans a Word file:

Convert Word documents to clean HTML: http://word2cleanhtml.com/

Well, I did give it a try and on a basic word document it seemed to work pretty well, produced reasonable clean code. Even tried it on a word table, that I needed to imbed in a website, had a few strange hick ups that were quickly fixed with the "find/replace all". For something you do once a month, so far appears to be a good alternative. Will test it on a few more word docs.
User 2366746 Photo

2 posts

As a former Homesite user I've come to rely on Snippets. So I'd first like to add my vote for adding the ability to organize snippets in folders. But there's an even more important Snippets feature I'd like to see, which is the ability to add a Snippet around an element in my code, in the same way that I can highlight a chunk of text and then add <P> tags or <TD> tags. I have several snippets set up in Homesite that do just that. For instance, I have a snippet set up for <LI> tags that include padding-bottom attributes. So when I want to add that tag, I simply highlight the text, click the appropriate snippet, and the tags are added. I can't do that in CC, and I'd love to see that feature added.
User 469268 Photo

80 posts

Robert Rhubart wrote:
As a former Homesite user I've come to rely on Snippets. So I'd first like to add my vote for adding the ability to organize snippets in folders. But there's an even more important Snippets feature I'd like to see, which is the ability to add a Snippet around an element in my code, in the same way that I can highlight a chunk of text and then add <P> tags or <TD> tags. I have several snippets set up in Homesite that do just that. For instance, I have a snippet set up for <LI> tags that include padding-bottom attributes. So when I want to add that tag, I simply highlight the text, click the appropriate snippet, and the tags are added. I can't do that in CC, and I'd love to see that feature added.

I have a snippet li { margin-bottom:10px; } that I drop into the style sheet for the page so that I don't have to put the padding-bottom attributes on each LI tag.
User 2120530 Photo

14 posts

Is it possible to use the "snippets" feature to wrap tags around text? For example, is it possible to highlight a text phrase or string and click a code snippet to wrap around like this:

<sometag>
This is a test phrase to illustrate my point. This is a test phrase to illustrate my point. This is a test phrase to illustrate my point.
</sometag>

One of the things I use is the Notetab Pro by Fookes software, and it has this functionality. I absolutely love that aspect of it. It would be great if I could figure out a way to have Coffeecup HTML Editor do the same thing.

Regards,
Alan
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Alan,

At this time the HTML Editor does not have the ability to wrap snippets. I think this is a great suggestion and I second the motion! :)
User 2120530 Photo

14 posts

Thanks for moving my post, Jo Ann.

I don't post here often and should have paid more attention.

I can't believe I'm the only one who ever made such a request, which to me seems so evident. Do you know if the good folks at CoffeeCup are planning on implementing that kind of feature?

Regards,
Alan
User 469268 Photo

80 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
Hiya Alan,

At this time the HTML Editor does not have the ability to wrap snippets. I think this is a great suggestion and I second the motion! :)

Have give that a positive vote as well, as a heavy user of comments, I have a snippet /* css comment */ that would be really nice if I could highlight css and then comment it out.... I can see the challenge thought, almost have to develop a set of rules to follow for snippets that would be candidates for wrapping...

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.