My web page only saves as an internet...

User 381454 Photo

2 posts

I'm new to web page creating but when I save my created web page in HTML Editor it only saves it in a
single Internet Explorer HTML File. And when I go to my webpage address after I have uploaded the
single Internet Explorer file to the public folder on the server the web page won't open. I am saving
it as Index.html. Can anyone give me some advise what I am doing wrong ?
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,075 posts

Is that Index with a capital "I"? If so, try a lowercase "i", so use "index.html". If that is not the case, does the local file on your computer work with your browser?
User 381454 Photo

2 posts

I have changed index to a lower case i. Yes it does work localy on the browser.
User 3004957 Photo

851 posts

Can we have a link so we can see what is going on? Websites are completely logical things; if the file is where is should be, in the public, www or similarly-named folder on the server, it will be visible to everyone, as long as the link to it is valid. This is where things can potentially go wrong; if the server is a linux-based box, you must watch letter-case when naming and accessing files on the server; File.jpg is seen as different from file.JPG or file.jpg. My recommendation is to name everything all lower case to avoid this problem.

Windows-based servers don't care what the file names are (within reason) but case doesn't matter.

You mention the file being saved as a single html file as though this is in error; it isn't. The editor saves files in html (or htm) format by default. If you have any other dependant files, like images embedded in the page, they must be uploaded to the server into the same relative position as they are on your machine; i.e if you have the images in a folder called images, then they must be in a folder called images on the server for them to render correctly.

The best thing to do is to post a link (if possible) and let the people here find out what is going on.

Hope this makes some sense.

Dave.
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

I would just repeat everything Dave just said...
:)
User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

Great clear explanation Dave!
The philosopher has not done philosophy until he has acted upon the mere conviction of his idea; for proof of the theory is in the act, not the idea.

My Web Development Company: http://www.innovatewebdevelopment.com (Created with Coffee Cup Software).

My Personal Website: http://www.EricSEnglish.com

User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Dave Thompson wrote:
Websites are completely logical things.

That's funny, I thought websites were inanimate and binary.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 3004957 Photo

851 posts

Well, they are, but they are logical in the sense that if all the t's are crossed and i's dotted, it will work as written. Many newcomers get confused and fall into the same traps, so the first thing to learn is good housekeeping and to follow the basic rules of engagement. The chances of things working correctly out of the box are far greater than if we ignore the basics.

My 2 cents anyway.

Dave.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Dave Thompson wrote:
Many newcomers get confused and fall into the same traps, so the first thing to learn is to follow the basic rules of engagement.

I agree totally. Newbies should not fall into those pesky traps and follow the basic rules that are standard.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.