HTML Editor - Moving text and...

User 474702 Photo

6 posts

Hi,

I'm using a recently downloaded, trial version of the HTML Editor to see if it's going to work for me. I'm looking to upgrade from FrontPage 2000. I'm running Vista.

My url is http://garvincountydemocrats.org

I started with a 3 column layout I liked and started adding images and editing text until I've messed it up good (note screwed up text and three ?'s appearing on the page). I haven't worked with CSS before and I think I must be overriding the styles using the visual editor.

Is is apparent what I did to the layout?

Is starting with a layout the best? I was wanting to get something basic posted before the weekend, so I was in a rush (I know, maybe I should have stuck with FP2K... I'm also excited about learning to use the new software).

Can you explain the basic structure of this layout? Is it several tables within a big table? Is that easy to explain?

I ordered a book that was suggested here ("Head First....HTML and CSS"), and I'll get it, but I was hoping for a point in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Joe
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Joe,

Your three column template is using CSS to setup the columns. I have heard that cutting and pasting or copy and pasting from a word document will create the ? characters that you are seeing.

If you look at the code, you will see that you have a content division that is set up in the style with a #content followed by styling that positions content in the center column.

You then have a extra division styled with #extra to place the information on the left side.

You have a navigation division styled with #navigation to have the important links.

You can look at the code and see what is used and how it effects the display.
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,076 posts
Online Now

In addition, you should change the 4th line to this:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" />

In your case this may prevent any more question marks from showing up as a result of pasting text using characters which, as far as UTF-8 is concerned, are in invalid character locations.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.