HTML Editor: How do I set up website...

User 427513 Photo

10 posts

The setup:
I'm in the process of re-designing from scratch the company intranet website where I work. This intranet is used for making links available to folders, files, policy documents, outside websites, etc. This is not publicly available and is on a local server that I have administrative rights to. Windows 2000 server, with company computers all running Windows and MS Office apps.
I have experience in html, javascript and do all the IT work. I have several Coffee Cup programs that are paid for and all are the latest versions. For this project I'm using CC HTML Editor.

The issue:
One of the reasons that prompted this re-design is that we are going "paper-less" for our pay vouchers. Our HR person used to print out small strips of paper with important employee reminders/info and company events. This got included in the pay voucher envelope. Now that we are "paper-less", I've been tasked with finding a way to allow our HR person (not very computer literate, but good with MS Word), to post this to the website.
It needs to be simple and allow this to be posted even when I'm not around (like vacation time!).
I've considered using CC Flash Blogger or CC WF builder. I have not used either program before. Or is there a simpler way I'm overlooking? This needs to fit into an exact spot on the main page so it is seen by everyone, without needing to "click a link" to view. Otherwise the concern is it will never be looked at. Since all employees need to go to the main page to get logged in for work, we want it right there.
thanks for any help/direction you can give me!
John

User 469813 Photo

18 posts

Hi John,

I have to do something similar on a site I'll be working on shortly. I've not tried it yet but I'm thinking of using something like ...

<?php include("http://www.othersite.com/filename.txt"); ?>

or use SSI and something like <!--#include virtual="filename.txt" -->

Where filename.txt is the file that the user can update. Of course I'm expecting to limit them to n characters or format the page in such a way that it doesn't matter too much. Like I say, not even tried this yet but I can't see why it wouldn't work? I may be in for a nasty surprise though!

N
User 471275 Photo

Ambassador
1,130 posts

John
Have you considered using a cms system in which you can designate someone else to work with certain sections of the content only. The interfase is very easy to work with and for someone who has only worked with word the interfase feels very natural.

Have a look at cushy csm it is for free. Here is the link:
http://www.cushycms.com

Hope this helps :)

User 427513 Photo

10 posts

great ideas for replies! thank you both!

Nigel, I have never worked with php but I know there's a lot of info and tutorials online. I'll take a look and perhaps this would make it simple to have the text changed. I'm always game to learn new things!

ad99wd, I actually use a CMS program for updates on the public website but its something not under my control. The regional headquarters set it up for updates to public info/specials on the websites they have control over. Guess it never occurred to me for something like this. It could also open other possibilities. :D

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Jon,
I had a similar situation for a person who commissioned a site from me. She is a journalist and wanted to be able to post her latest offerings on the site without having to call me in every time.
As she needed a rush job, I had built a site for her very quickly, but she had no time to "learn" how to add her bit. As an interim arrangement, I set up a free blog for her with
https://www.blogger.com/start and linked her web site over to the blog. I made all the necessary changes to the blog to give it a similar graphical appearance to the actual site so the link was not overly obvious.
She was able, with a simple email, to post all her writings to the blog in the same way she used her normal email correspondence, and from her usual email application.

Meanwhile I have set up a new cms site for her as add99wd suggests.......
see it here www.fiorenzaferretti.org and when we get a bit of time, I will give her some brief lessons in how to edit her own blog included on the site.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.