Html editor 2008 or Visual site...

User 504166 Photo

10 posts

Hi,
As someone who is new to web design I am wondering would it be better buying Html editor 2008 and use the Wysiwyg screen or use VSD?

Thanks for your help!
Bryan
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

We have two different applications you can use to create your site: HTML Editor and Visual Site Designer.

The main difference between HTML Editor and Visual Site Designer is access to the raw HTML. Visual Site Designer will generate all the necessary HTML for you and allow you to focus on the design of your page. You can insert text, images, links, etc. and drag them anywhere on the page. You can even create shapes such as rectangles and circles, or add effects like glow, bevel, and shadow. Because everything is stored in the VNU file for Visual Site Designer, it cannot open preexisting HTML files to edit.

The HTML Editor, on the other hand, can open any HTML file and edit it with either the Code Editor or Visual Editor. The Visual Editor will also allow you to insert text, images, links, etc., but you cannot create shapes or effects within the program. Those would need to be done outside the software and inserted as images. Because the HTML Editor edits one file at a time, as opposed to the entire site, you have more control over things like filenames, directory structure, etc., and how these elements are uploaded to the server.

Both applications offer a built-in transfer client you can use to upload your site to the server. We recommend downloading trial versions of both applications (http://www.coffeecup.com/software) to determine which is better suited for your needs. If you have any other questions, let us know.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 504166 Photo

10 posts

Thanks Scott!
That cleared it up for me. I figure I could create in VSD and then open it with Html Editor and see how the same site looks in both.
Also I would assume but want to make sure that Photo gallery would be easy to use with both of these programs?

Thanks for your help,
Bryan
User 3004957 Photo

851 posts

Hey Bryan,

Photo Gallery is a snap to add to each of the programs since it creates all the code and files you'll need. We have step-by-step articles at http://www.coffeecup.com/photo-gallery/help/ and you can download the trial version to test it as well.
User 504166 Photo

10 posts

Hi,
I just wanted to thank Scott and Cesar for their very informative replies!

Since then I have used the trial version and decided to buy the full version of vsd and photo gallery, but then decided hey why not just get both and some other progs that looked very interesting and wound up buying the Designer pack for not much more :)

So this would mean now even more questions from me since I now own 9 of your programs!

Again thanks for your help,
Bryan

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.