Fun with floating elements - Post ID...

User 2000538 Photo

1,392 posts

Phil wrote:

Save yourself from the misery (of dragging it out) make the plunge and get the total package!!! Then you can play with it all, anytime you want :D

Yes I second that....I knew I was going to end up wanting most of the programs so just got the lot and working my way through them.

The packages are such excellent value.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said...but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not exactly what I meant.

User 375578 Photo

24 posts

I will most likely end up getting a lot of the software at once. Just need to clarify my visions and what I will need/use the most.

Eventually I would like to move into creating ecommerce and membership sites.

Cheers!
User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

Alan... I just took a look at your site, and it seems that you have still not sorted out how to deal with your menu. There is quite a lot of useful information in the comments left by fellow CC users here, but I just wanted to add something of my own which may help you to complete your picture.

First and foremost I would suggest that you use Firefox (in case you don't already) and go get their web developer add-on. Once you have installed that, open up your web page and from the web developer tool bar, go to the OUTLINE button. You will see a dropdown menu of options. There are several worth trying out, but just play about with them all to see what happens on your web page. Using the OUTLINE CURRENT ELEMENT option, a new WEB DEVELOPER text box will open up in the top area of your browser, giving full details of the name and relative position of the element.

I find this very useful when I need to check out exactly where an element is placed in relation to another one, and to decide if a little more padding or a margin will be enough to move it away from another element on the page.

Even if you are not using tables but are trying to use just css, you can still think of your page elements as lots of little boxes jostling around the page trying to find a comfortable position in relation to one another. Try to make sure that you keep all these little boxes inside one main box - namely the so-called WRAPPER or CONTAINER or whatever else you would like to call it. And this wrapper/container itself will be floating centrally on the whole page or BODY:
margin:0 auto 0 auto;

In your case I see you have used both a wrapper and a container. I would be inclined to remove that wrapper and just use the div content positioning that

Don't forget also - and this is often overlooked - that you can also use minus numbers for margin positioning.

I see that you have this line of code for your menu:
#menu {float: left; width: 175px; margin-top: 20px; }

You could always try adding more margin around that on the left eg:
#menu {float: left; width: 175px; margin-left:20px; margin-top:20px; }

Although I haven't looked carefully, I am wondering if the other css files you have linked into your page might be over-riding the previous code. Worth checking that out.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.