Frames Navigation gives two columns...

User 1936140 Photo

3 posts

Link to page with problem

http://billkathydavis.com/frameslayoutwrd.html

Windows XP

CoffeeCup 2008 build 242 registered ver

I'm making newer versions of old web pages with frames. The frame navigation appears along the left edge and on the home page and works correctly to all the home page level items.

But I have several portions that were so large I decided to break them into sections and have a separate frames navigation menu allow the section selection from a sub directory
The only home page selection for this function that I have installed is the one labeled Second Big RV Trip 2002. Note there are several items with similar names & dates.

When I click on the home page menu link to my sub directory stuff, I expect the entire frame to be re-drawn with the sub directory menu now on the left side instead of the home page menu. But both appear.

If I click on one of the local menu links, the local menu disappears and leaves only the home page menu, loosing all nav links at that level. Also if I click on Home Page link to return to the home page from the sub directory level menu, the sub menu disappears and a second copy of the home page menu reappears.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

William,

It sounds like you want to change the target for the "Second Big RV Trip 2002" from target="main" to target="_top" which will open the selection in place of the current frameset.

If you are going to redo much of the site, you may want to eliminate the frames and use a menu program. You could place a vertical menu on the right and each page would look very much like what you currently have but you could then have sub-menus.
User 1936140 Photo

3 posts

Thanks Bill that did it. I was fumbling around just before reading your post and stumbled upon getting it to work. But I way I was then doing it was opening a new tab every time I when back and forth.

This just works the way I was expecting.

I started using drop down menus when I started re-doing the web pages a week or two ago. Ran into some problem and tried frames instead. I may try switching back and seeing if whatever the problem was goes away with experience.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

William,

I personally like the CoffeeCup DHTML menu builder. I enjoy being able to have as many sub-menus as I need, and if I want, I can use buttons for the menu.
User 1936140 Photo

3 posts

Yes, I just looked at your Robertson-Family website (this time with java script turned on) and I see the menu structure with sub-menus and sub sub menus. If you can do this, I should be able to make it work for me as well.

First time I clicked on the links, I didn't allow script and the menus never showed up.

Thanks again for the help.
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

William,

Thanks for letting me know about the no scripts. I will have to put something up to let folks know about that.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.