Failure to Uninstall HTML Editor 2008...

User 542713 Photo

4 posts

NOTE: I originally accidentally posted this in the wrong thread -- sorry, I am new at forums!

HELP!!!

I am now aware that one is supposed to uninstall the old version of HTML Editor prior to installing a new one. I failed to uninstall CoffeeCup HTML Editor 2008 before I installed the 2009 version! When I realized what I had done, I uninstalled the 2009 version using the rollback option. It was my hope to then uninstall the 2008 version, but Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) Remove Programs Feature would not allow me to remove it saying that it had already been removed. However, this is not the case seeing that I am able to open the 2008 version still. I do not know what to do now. Please HELP me as I am to use your new version and am eager to start a new project with it! Your software is great -- my foolishness is not!

Thank you in advance,

David Nichols
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Hi David

Well I bet that gave you a few gray hairs ;) Have you just tried re-downloading the latest editor from our Website and reinstalling it again?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 474778 Photo

215 posts

After uninstalling 2008, I went back to the installation target directory to see what was left behind. There are a lot of resource files there, such as sounds, icons, javascript snippets, buttons etc. Are these carried along into the 2009 release? If so, I would simply delete the leftover 2008 directory. If not, I guess I'd take the trouble to move resources from the old to the new installation by hand. Please advise what would make sense.

BTW, I am looking forward to using the 2009 editor and much of the client-side stuff from the Webmaster Super Pack I bought last year with MODx running on my localhost WAMP server.

It just gets better & better!
halfnium -AT- alum.mit.edu
Yes, I looked just like that in 1962.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

It is Ok to leave them. Just install the new version and it will take care of everything for you. Most of the resources the new version uses are still shared with the 2008 version, so I can't see any real problems.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 542713 Photo

4 posts

Thank you for your replies. I have been busy in the last couple of hours working on this.

I did delete much of what I could determine to be from HTML Editor 2008 from the CoffeeCup Software Folder. (I left my other programs and some miscellaneous files in this directory.) Also, I took a hint from another of the HTML Editor Threads and used ccleaner to clean the registry files because this was advised in a similar -- albeit not exactly the same -- case by someone else at CoffeeCup. Then, I reinstalled the 2009 version.

Now, the current version seems to work, and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you very much. I wish I had waited and not gone to all that trouble since it seems yours is a much easier fix! But I was and am eager to use the software.

Keep up the good work, CoffeeCup!

David Nichols
User 474778 Photo

215 posts

I don't anticipate any problems either I'm just wondering if I would lose some nice stuff if I deleted the 2008 resources. I am a cautious pack rat by nature.

Truth is, I probably never would look at the 2008 resources again, but (unless I delete them) I would mindlessly carry them forward from one PC platform to the next for years. You can put me out of my misery :-) now by telling me that it's OK to let go of the older stuff, that I will lose nothing in doing so.

"Head toward the light and fear not, Grasshopper!" Y'know what i mean?
halfnium -AT- alum.mit.edu
Yes, I looked just like that in 1962.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.