ERROR #42 Images Won't Upload - Post...

User 476688 Photo

19 posts

Hello Everyone, not sure if this was the right forum to post this question, but I need help.

What would cause me to recieve an ERROR #42 (incomplete file...) when trying to up load my image files? When using the preview in the HTML Editor all looks fine; I can see my images. However when I upload them using the Direct FTP software I can see the file name in my images folder list (on the server side)as if it transferred, however I notice that the file size column is empty and the image doesnt show up on the internet page. Also in Direct FTP if I click on the image name (on the server side)and click EDIT I get the dreaded bong and the message Error #42 (of course on the same image in my computer window upon clicking EDIT gives me all the details pertaining to that image file).

What is going on during my upload. Have re-uploaded numerous times and get the same results

webpage: www.fbcftwayne.org/events.html

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Marla
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,461 posts
Online Now

Marla, firstly go to your profile and change your nickname away from your mail address. We don't want to make it too easy for spammers, do we? ;)

In DFTP, have you checked the settings for Transfer mode? You find them under Actions on the menu bar. It should be set to 'Auto', and if that doesn't work, try 'binary'.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 476688 Photo

19 posts

Inger,
Appreciate your quick response. First, I did update my profile's nickname; thanks for the head's up.
Secondly, I am using Direct FTP 6.2 and I looked under the menu heading "Actions" and there is no heading called "Transfer Mode"; and the few available headings on that menu don't offer the option of transfer mode setting. I haven't been able to locate this anywhere in the software, would it be under some other title or menu?

I definitely have a setting problem or something has changed because now I can't upload any images; but page updates upload fine.

-Marla
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Hi Marla,
maybe this can help-Direct Ftp 6.2
http://www.screencast.com/t/6X8xtcqn1q
I did notice that the Breakfast_Large.jpg is not in your images folder.if that helps.

User 476688 Photo

19 posts

Bruce,
That AUTO menu was not in my software! In swear! ;)
Thanks, found it!

Inger,
Anyway, I tried to upload with both the auto and binary settings and still the file name loads but not the file size information and thus the images don't show up on the website.

Any other suggestions?
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

Marla,
What I would do in your case is try another FTp program.
http://filezilla-project.org/
This Filezilla and it's free, just try it see if it makes any difference.
In your images folder your have a zip file that has zero kb's and 3 images, Give filezilla a try and let us know.

User 476688 Photo

19 posts

Inger and Bruce
Problem Solved!
I did download the software Filezilla. I encountered the same problems, my images were not being upload. While working in Filezilla it showed me something that Direct FTP did not, it gave me the reason why I was receiving the error message. It revealed "server quota reached..." Long story short, I contacted my ISP and found out that they had moved our site to another server and had inadvertently cut our site size in half! After spending an hour on the phone with their tech support we were able to clear up the trouble and I'm happy to say I am now able to upload any and all of my images! :)

Thanks guys for your patience and suggestions; the simply suggestion of trying another FTP software initiated the solution.

I love the Coffee Cup software programs and would hope that within DFTP it gives error explanations, as Filezilla did, and that I just don't know were to find them.

Thanks again,
-Marla
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,461 posts
Online Now

Hi Marla,

Glad you were able to solve your problem! Some ISPs actually shrink the allocated space on purpose, to avoid someone hacking in and storing illegal files there. I've had that with one of the servers I use.

Besides, I would suggest that you upgrade to DFTP 6.5. Using an older version may be the reason why you didn't find the Transfer mode.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.