Editor is too clever! - Post ID 109392

User 476017 Photo

Ambassador
375 posts

John Pryor wrote:
Re Cary's response above - CC has automatically inserted 'charset-us-ascii' in the web page that gives me a problem. I've changed it as you suggested and it seems to work fine. The editor still changes £ to £ but it displays correctly on the live page.

Incidentally, the character does change when I switch from code to visual editor.

On a similar vein - on closer examination CC does set up a new page with the charset = utf-8, but I note that some of my older pages, written using versions of the editor some time ago have the charset = unicode. Is there somewhere to set a default?

Thanks for all the responses!

You could try £
for the pound sign.
Not sure if it will work for you but works OK for me in the UK
Dave Butler
Yorkshire
England

Old Rishworthians Rugby Union Football club http://www.orrufc.co.uk
Tuxedo Junction Yorkshire Function Band http://www.riley-tuxedojunction.co.uk
The Commons Guest House http://www.thecommons-guesthouse.co.uk
all created with Coffee Cup html editor
User 120072 Photo

6 posts

tassietiger wrote:
John Pryor wrote:

Incidentally, the character does change when I switch from code to visual editor.

Part of your problem may be this switching. HTML Editor is not designed to be able to switch between the two. You need to choose one or the other and stick with that choice as they are coded differently and switching between the two will muck up your code.

I have to admit I didn't know that - and I've been using Coffee Cup for years. It's a shame, I always thought that being able to switch briefly into visual, just to nudge a graphic or something similar, was one if it's big advantages. Guess I'll just have to be careful in the future.
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

Jo Ann - "are you guys using the "character" tab to enter your characters?"

No I don't use the character tab, I just write it out fully, I just thought it was a quirky thing from CC.

cbrillow - It really doesn't have much to do CC's country-of-origin. Fact is, the British Pound Sterling symbol is defined in HTML as "£"...

Really I never knew that and I've know HTML for years. Not saying your wrong though. If you are right why does most other editors have no problem with the £ character? eg Pagebreeze, Alleycode and Serif products. Also when you use notepad to code there isn't any issues there either. Interesting one.
User 345577 Photo

373 posts

@G'kar

There are many references to HTML special character specifications on the net. Here's one:

http://www.utexas.edu/learn/html/spchar.html

My statement refers to what is ultimately written to the actual HTML file, not how different editors handle or display them while you are editing. Whatever appears on the screen while you're coding must somehow turn into £ (or £) before being uploaded, even if you don't see it. Otherwise, it's non-compliant HTML.
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

Thanks for that cbrillow.
User 2144239 Photo

0 posts

John Pryor wrote:
tassietiger wrote:
John Pryor wrote:

Part of your problem may be this switching. HTML Editor is not designed to be able to switch between the two. You need to choose one or the other and stick with that choice as they are coded differently and switching between the two will muck up your code.

I have to admit I didn't know that - and I've been using Coffee Cup for years. It's a shame, I always thought that being able to switch briefly into visual, just to nudge a graphic or something similar, was one if it's big advantages. Guess I'll just have to be careful in the future.

One of the most difficult things about creating a WYSWYG editor is trying to bridge the gap between code and visual editing. Although it may sound pretty easy, it's actually a very complex task.

Things are straightforward in a code editor, but when you move that code to a visual editing environment, things start getting messed up. Everything needs to be parsed and changed to visual format so page elements can be moved individually. During that conversion process, a lot of code gets modified, and if any of the markup is invalid or has syntax problems, the visual editor has to try to decipher what you were trying to do and make some assumptions about how to interpret your code. Moreover, when you switch back to the Code Editor, all the changes made in the Visual Editor have to be reverted to code, and the result usually isn't valid.

That's why we recommend sticking to the Code Editor and using the split-screen preview option. This gives you a real-time view of how your Website looks as you work on the code.

I hope that helps! :)
User 120072 Photo

6 posts

Thanks Monica - now you've explained it, I can see how things can get messed up. I guess that's why I keep losing all my carefully formatted html coding as well. I consider myself duly warned, and won't switch editors in mid stream again!

Thanks for your input everyone :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.