[Design Issue] Migrate an MS 2002...

User 465162 Photo

4 posts

http://joyvisioncare.com
XP SP3
CC HTML Editor 2008 ver May22, Registered

I inherited this Front Page Java mouseover & forms [I think?]/CSS site and need to create/modify/migrate [the quickest way] to a valid cross browser compatible. search engine optimal site. I have intermediate developer skills lacking on scripts. I don't really know what I need to "want," to do to get there?

Or if I'm posting [1st time] correctly, TIA

User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Mark,

You have the HTML Editor 2008. Do you have an FTP program? You can use the HTML Editor, but my personal preference is to use FTP to download the files to my computer.

Search Engine Optimization is not a one time thing. A site needs fresh content to get return visitors. You have your keywords in a meta tag, but you could change the text on the page to use those key words.

I looked at the link, and it looks good in Firefox. I also checked with IE and only noticed a font color issue. It would appear that the code works fairly well with cross browser issues. If you want to be sure it will work with current and future browsers, you may want to validate the code.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fjoyvisioncare.com%2F&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

If you check that link, it will tell you the errors in the page code. If you start ant the top and fix things, the page will eventually validate and should not have problems with any browsers.

As for the scripts, if they work leave them as they are until you are ready to tackle changing them. You may want to remove the code for the scripts from the actual page code. If you take everything between the <script language="JavaScript">
and </script> tags, you can save it to an external file named menu.js and then your on-page code would look something like <script type="text/javascript" src="menu.js"></script> That will also help with your validation.

Hope this helps. Be sure to return and post updates.

User 465162 Photo

4 posts

Thanks Bill, no problems moving files. Yes, it look like it's working on Firefox except the CSS font face is being ignored [../style1.html. ]I tried the forms on IE8, "go" buttons don't work. And there's a class="greg" in the index body that's not referenced in the stylesheet file. I assumed it was server side on the old hosting co's server?
User 355448 Photo

Ambassador
3,144 posts

Mark,

I don't know how many pages you need to work on, but if they are working now, you can take your time and fix them one at a time, or go through and fix specific issues on all pages. As and example, you could use the HTML Editor to replace all the identical code throughout the site with a search and replace.

If you have PHP available (most sites do) you can replace code that is duplicated on all pages with a single line of code. That will actually speed up the loading of subsequent pages since parts of the pages will be in memory.

You might want to turn off javascript and see how the site looks. I didn't see much difference, but it is something to check since some folks have Javascript turned off.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.