CSS - Post ID 242124

User 444279 Photo

3 posts

Dear Friends,

As you are aware, I am using your HTML program as well as others. I am very content with it and what I use it for as well as your support over the years. Thanks.

However, I do have a problem that I ask your help on with some fear of being mocked for my lack. The issue is simple. I am trying to incorporate CSS into what I am doing for a religious group. I charge nothing for what I do. My pay is to learn more about building pages which I really enjoy doing. This is where you come in.

I have thus made a template incorporating CSS into what has been only in html. It is to have a rounded red colored line creating a box to place the content in. The content is supposed to be black on the white background. It comes out just like I want it to within the coffee cup html browser. However, after it is uploaded, the print is black on a sandy colored background which spread across the page. The paragraphs stay formatted correctly as well has the headings. But the headings are black and not the color as I want them to be. Interestingly enough, when I open my firefox browser and open this same file from my computer HD it is correct except that the box stays to the left of the screen and not center. However, when I up load the same to the server, it appears as described above. I am so clueless on this one that I humbly ask for help. None of the manuals that I use indicates what I have done wrong. Below is the template that I am using. Maybe you can see what I need to do - to add - or something. I have been struggling with this for about a year now. The simple now seems so difficult. Please help me.

Thanks for your kind consideration,
Dennis Hartman

<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../mag_format.css" /><!©© the rel="stylesheet" tells web browser that you are working with CSS files, and the href="v32n1.css" tells where these files are located and in the browser knows what to do within the page. ©©>
<style>
/* Custom Scrollbar Colors */
body{
scrollbar©base©color: #FFF3CE;
</style>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFF3CE">
<div class="boxed">
<h1>This is your title</h1>
<p>This is the authors name</p>
<p class="magname">THE ARMINIAN MAGAZINE. Issue 2. Spring 2013. Volume 31.</p>
<p class="magdate"> date posted here </p>
<br /><br />
<p class="textbody">paragraph</p>

</div></body></html>
Good evening. I need to change my email and password. I am somewhat confused by your set up. Could you please help me? I ready to purchase some of your programs. My new email is wesbury_1@yahoo.com as shown above. could you be so kind as to help me with that. Thanks
Dennis
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,087 posts

Can you please post a link to your page. Quite often this helps us more than just providing the code from your webpage.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts
Online Now

Dennis,
In the code you provided you have a lot of '©©' where dashes are expected. If it is the same in your html file, I guerss you'll be in for some trouble.
I don't know how that can happen, usually this forum shows the correct code if css or html is pasted. But do stay away from MSWord or so when writing code! :mad: Maybe not the case here, and probably not related to the problem you are describing, but just saying...

But provide a link, as Steve says, it is much easier to see what is wrong or out of place then.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

Inger wrote:
In the code you provided you have a lot of '©©' where dashes are expected... I don't know how that can happen, usually this forum shows the correct code if css or html is pasted. But do stay away from MSWord or so when writing code!

It happens frequently when copying from MS Word, but it can also happen when copying from other programs. Also, when doing a copy-paste, be sure to watch for blank spaces. They can cause problems as well. I always first paste into Notepad to remove formatting, and then paste into HTML Editor or other programs.
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including personal or group training for Site Designer, Web Form Builder and more via Zoom.
Email me at support@uscni.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 444279 Photo

3 posts

First I want to thank all of you for your most kind help. You have no idea how much I appreciate this.

As I said it is a religious site. I do what I can for the pleasure of learning some of what goes on behind the browsers. It has been one of those simple little pleasures in my life. Because they are religious, they are not hard to get along with. I have used mostly html for what I do, and want to expand my experience with CSS. Seems to me I should be able to get it, and the first time I use it in a big way I messed up. That is what I like, the challenge of learning, but my books have not helped here. No doubt it is me. Or at least that is what I discovered with html.

Therefore allow me to give you the url for what I did there. It is -> http://www.fwponline.cc/v32n2/The_Fifth … _View.html
As you will see, it is readable, but my formatting in CSS totally disappeared.

I personally do not use anything but your html program. It is easy enough, plus it has done things that I thought it might not do. I do not like Microsoft much of anything. For me it is Wordperfect and all none Microsoft programs except for my OS. After reading what you wrote, I feel I am among friends. I don’t hate their stuff, I just don’t like using it.

You brought another concept to the table that I have not heard or at least in those terms. Would you be kind enough to explain “In the code you provided you have a lot of '©©' where dashes are expected. If it is the same in your html file, I guerss you'll be in for some trouble. ” What are
“'©©' ”?

Also as you can see I tried to put that CSS box in the center of the page. When I bring it up from my HD to my firefox it is to the left and not centered. Surely it seems to me that it can be centered and what I read indicates as much. Am I mixing up the html with the CSS? So why does it generally behave when I bring it up from my HD to my firefox and not from the server side to firefox?

Again let me express my gratitude for all that you are doing for me. Thanks
Good evening. I need to change my email and password. I am somewhat confused by your set up. Could you please help me? I ready to purchase some of your programs. My new email is wesbury_1@yahoo.com as shown above. could you be so kind as to help me with that. Thanks
Dennis
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,190 posts

Your mag_format.css doesn't appear to be uploaded to the server or in the proper location.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Dennis, you should start by including a valid doctype at the top of your pages:
<!DOCTYPE html>
Then create folder for your CSS and put your stylesheet there and link to it:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/my-styles" media="all">

If you use the HTML Editor's Projects feature, it will keep everything together for you and check for necessary items during FTP.

To make your CSS more efficient, rather than having every paragraph assigned the body-text class, just put those styles on the <p> tag itself and use something else for other items, like <h2> for the magazine issues/titles and <h3> for the author/date.
You could also use some padding on your <p> so the text doesn't run all the way to the screen edges. Wired Magazine is a good example of text-heavy pages that are easy to read:
http://www.wired.com/2014/12/rospotrebnadzor/
Good contrast, appropriate font/font size, reasonable width, plenty of white space and subheads to break up the text.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 444279 Photo

3 posts

I have read each post with great attention. In the near future I will be up grading my machine a bit. I expect to study what you all have taught me here during that time. When I get this desk top back, I will attack this problem head on. I will no doubt be back with you again. I think I see what is messing with my mind. There are at least two things I did not do. One is a style sheet, and the other I did not have the right coding on the html page itself. Both should not have gotten by me. I am embarrassed. Indeed this is a little challenge, but like I said, that is why I enjoy it. Also some of the links that many of you gave at the bottom of you page I found most interesting. Again, you have been good friends indeed. Thanks for you help. It will take some doing, but if others did it, so can I. Thanks.
Dennis
PS If I don't get back for a bit, have a wonderful Christmas. Thanks.
Dennis
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts
Online Now

Dennis Hartman wrote:

You brought another concept to the table that I have not heard or at least in those terms. Would you be kind enough to explain “In the code you provided you have a lot of '©©' where dashes are expected. If it is the same in your html file, I guerss you'll be in for some trouble. ” What are
“'©©' ”?

If you look at the paragraph from your first post, you will see the ' ©©' I mentioned:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../mag_format.css" /><!©© the rel="stylesheet" tells web browser that you are working with CSS files, and the href="v32n1.css" tells where these files are located and in the browser knows what to do within the page. ©©>
<style>
/* Custom Scrollbar Colors */
body{
scrollbar©base©color: #FFF3CE;

And if you compare it to the code of your document, you will find dashes instead. So obviously the ©© are not in your code, they must have been changed in your copying the code and pasting it into this forum. Therefore, among other things, it is more important for us, in order to be of any help, to see the actual page you are working on rather than a piece of code pasted into a forum post.

As Eric stated, the css file is missing from the location on the server where the code says it should be. The ../ means one folder above the location of the html file, and that may be wrong. Try removing the ../ and see if the css file takes effect. Anyway, the path to the file must point to where the file actually is.

You have some small styling in the html document's head:
body{
scrollbar-base-color: #FFF3CE;

I'm not sure if that is a valid css rule, but anyway, it needs a closing curly bracket at the end.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.