Actual Bug and possible bug - Post ID...

User 3004957 Photo

848 posts

Hi again team

I seem to be spending a lot of time here lately!

Working with the editor, I have noticed a couple of glitches, one of which is (probably) a bug and another that may well be, but due to my limited knowledge of html I am just going to throw these out here and see what the pros think.

Please refer to the following image. As you can see, I have started a div tag and the code-completion menu has dropped down to help me out. The first issue is cosmetic; in many of the drop-down dialogs, the line spacing is too narrow, which means words with letters like g and y are truncated. You can see evidence of this in the image, where the word "left' is partially blocking the word 'Bottom' and the word 'Right' is truncated. This is what I think is an actual bug (I use Consolas as my editor font, so perhaps this is the cause but I assume that whatever font (within reason and fixed-width at least) I use, these menus should display properly.).

Now the 'maybe' bug. Look at the code-completion choices for this tag; there is no 'Center' to choose from here. All my other editors give me Centre, Justify, Left and Right as an option for the div tag. The options given here are more likely to be for valign, but not div. I know divs are deprecated and this may be why it these options are given but many still use div tags and not having Center seems a bit of an oversight.

http://www.pcanytime.co.nz/cchtml.jpg

My 2 Cents

Dave.
User 3 Photo

Administrator
1,371 posts

Dave,

These are interesting issues with the the line-height inside the code completion drop down, and missing "center" attribute. We'll add that to our tracking system for the developers to look into.

- J.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Dave,

I installed Consolas here and I cannot replicate the one issue you described. I tried all font sizes from 8 - 30 and it always looked the same. Are you using any Custom DPI Settings, Large Fonts etc...

http://www.coffeecup.com/files/forums/Consolas.png

I got the font here at http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/deta … laylang=en

Also if you or anyone needs to ever reach me, my direct address is scott@coffeecup.com
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 3004957 Photo

848 posts

Hi Scott

No, bog-standard Windows Vista Business - no custom fonts or weird line spacing. The only thing that is different between my machine and other Vista users is that I run the classic look, without those horrible resource-hogging transparent graphics. That shouldn't have any effect on this though. Here is a shot with Times New Roman size 12 which shows the bug happens with the standard font as well, no matter what size it is. It isn't as apparent in this shot but still there.

http://www.pcanytime.co.nz/cchtml2.jpg

I got the font from Microsoft as well, in fact, I think that is the only place it is available from (developed by them I think). Regardless, it isn't a show-stopper for me but I am starting to get annoyed with having to click away that error dialogue at startup, which results in the software starting minimised. It means my RSI is getting hammered by having to click three times just to open it.

So, sorry I don't have an answer as to why it happens only on my machine; still, it wouldn't be the first time a piece of software runs properly on everyone's machine but mine.

Cheers

Dave.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Thanks Dave for the additional information. I switched over to Windows Classic, but it still looks the same to me here as well. However if I use Large Custom Fonts DPI 120, I can recreate this issue.

Off your desktop, do right-click select personalize > adjust font size (dpi) and see if you are at 96DPI or 120DPI.

What do you have there?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 3004957 Photo

848 posts

Scott, mine is default - like I said this is standard Vista setup.

http://www.pcanytime.co.nz/myfonts.jpg

I am at a loss to explain it as it does it with the default editor font as well, though I only noticed it with consolas as that is the font I use in all my html editors (yes, I use three on a daily basis because none is my 'perfect' editor - as much as I would like to say your is, it isn't, but it is close. I think I offered my services as a beta tester a while back but didn't hear anything so I will throw the offer out there again if any are needed).

I will do some more playing and see if I can figure it out. It is no big deal; it appears mine is the only machine it happens on so there is no real need to 'fix' it, though it would be nice to know why it happens.

Thanks for your time investment.

Dave.
User 3004957 Photo

848 posts

Right, with some more playing around (with the software I mean!) I have discovered that with the font in the editor options set to Times New Roman size 11 (I'm not sure what the default setting is any more since I changed it right away), there is no truncating issues with the drop down menu. The trouble is, the code looks small on my monitor (24 inch wide running at 1920 x 1080) and is too small to be useful. Bumping it to 12 point is where the fun begins with the menu getting slightly out of whack. Chaniging the font size to 18 and things get really interesting. Aside from being far too big for anyone except visually impaired people to use in real life, it makes the auto-complete menu virtually unusable (as evidenced by the image below).

http://www.pcanytime.co.nz/cchtml3.jpg

So, it seems that the line spacing is fixed in these drop-downs and doesn't expand with larger fonts, which is fine except for the problems it is causing here. I know hard-coding something is far easier than writing lots of code (and the potential introduction of bugs) but sometimes it is worth the extra effort. Many people who are trialling the software might change fonts and think it was an amateur effort and just quit the software, without mentioning it to anyone except other people who will then not bother trying it out either. Certainly not a show-stopper for me because I have stuck with CC and their products for many years and where possible refer people here but for others, who knows...

Just my 2 cents (as usual)

Dave.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

I just published an article here at http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … ?locale=en which shows how you can fully customize all of the tags and attributes used for code completion.

Pretty handy stuff ;)

Build 303 posted today corrects the div tag attributes you mentioned above.
User 3004957 Photo

848 posts

That is handy and a well thought out feature.

Cheers Scott

Dave.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.