VSD replaced by...? - Post ID 240523

User 2093747 Photo

69 posts

We too are working with responsive designs now. To be honest, I am not impressed with many of the responsive sites I've seen in general. Most look very similar with the same formats. Although I agree they are the future, I feel many designers jumped prematurely before fully understanding how best to create them. I've seen beautiful websites converted to crappy responsive designs.

We all have high hopes for what the new RSD will provide. I hope it will be as intuitive as we have grown to expect of CC.
WHC
Quick Biz Websites
www.quickbizwebsites.com
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Gunsmoke wrote:
RLM is preceding RSD! Correct! Because ( and this is the big one for me ) you can create a layout in RLM, then import that layout into RSD. RSD will let you add your actual content and SEE it.

Right now RLM creates the layout or frame, then you have to export that and load it into HTML Editor to add content.

RSD ( hopefully ) will take HTML Editor out of the picture for the most part and let us non-coders add our content in a more visual way.

Make sense? If not, it will soon, I hope, maybe . . . :P

Yeah, ok. But neither will just import a site like mine and convert it?

So like Bill just said, it could turn my nice design now ( I think it;s nice, anyway ) to crap?

Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Well, you can't 'import' it, but you can re-build it! You know what you want it to look like. You have the graphics. Simply create the layout in RLM then add your content back and you'll have basically the same web site only super responsive!
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 404575 Photo

887 posts

Hmm.
Melissa Rhiannon
OS Windows 10
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

Melissa Rhiannon wrote:
Brian, your post is great, and I'm sold. The only problem that I still have, is money. I've run our little business since 2006, without a single credit card, on a monthly budget.

Melissa, check this article out. It may help as far as making the transition.
http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/respons … out-maker/
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including personal or group training for Site Designer, Web Form Builder and more via Zoom.
Email me at support@uscni.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

I have had a quick scan through this thread, as an avid VSD user, now in desperate need of responsive BUT my VSD site is linked to my SCCP site and i feer a problem.

Anyone know how this transition will cope regarding SCCP

I am just looking at alternative software which incorporates shopping cart into the responsive and i don't want to jump ship, but as my present website has 86 pages of detail, and about 900 cart products and lots of prospective customers phoning or emailing because they can't find most things using i pads or apple in general its time for a re think

Not been around here for ages, SCCP shop now a huge success , but i am spending to much time dealing with inquiries that should be automatic cart sales

Viv
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

User 2473003 Photo

31 posts

Gunsmoke wrote:
RLM is preceding RSD! Correct! Because ( and this is the big one for me ) you can create a layout in RLM, then import that layout into RSD. RSD will let you add your actual content and SEE it.

Right now RLM creates the layout or frame, then you have to export that and load it into HTML Editor to add content.

RSD ( hopefully ) will take HTML Editor out of the picture for the most part and let us non-coders add our content in a more visual way.

Make sense? If not, it will soon, I hope, maybe . . . :P

I fit into Melissa's category and use VSD because I do not code using html and I don't want to learn it. I've been using VSD for a couple of years and it works well for me. Having said that I understand the need for the responsive thing due to the many platforms that our websites are being viewed on. So I guess I have two questions:

1. Will I need to purchase RLM and RSD (two products) if I wish to go down this path?
2. What is the planned release date for RSD?

Terry
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Hey Tezza,

1. No
2. No release date.

The way I understand it, RSD will be a stand alone program. BUT ( capital but ), RLM will compliment it greatly. With RLM you can create a fluid design framework, and save it. It can then be imported and used in RSD. Right now if you create and save a layout in RLM you have to finish it in an HTML editor. RSD will let you do that and give you ( we hope ) a visual look at your website as you're working on it. Why you should have both programs ( I think ) is that you will be able to save a lot of time if you create multiple website because if you already have a layout done in RLM then you can show potential clients something rather quickly, then finish it off after they approve it. If you start with only RSD then you're pretty much starting from scratch each time. Information is still a bit sketchy as I'm sure the programmers at CC are adding and changing things constantly trying to finish this up. Hopefully it won't be much longer, but I wouldn't hold my breath . . .
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

I understand the feeling of wanting RSD sooner. Scott posted a great saying in another phrase.
"If you want it fast and good, it won't be cheap. If you want it fast and cheap, well it will not be good."

By implication, if you it cheap and good, it will not be fast. One thing about Coffeecup, they offer excellent software at a very affordable price and then they run frequent discounts as well. It also means that they "work out as many bugs" as possible so that by the time we buy the software, it works well. That takes a whole lot of time, but it is usually worth the wait.

However, let me encourage you! CC sent out an email yesterday saying that they are very close to releasing not only RSD, but also version 2 of RLM as well as Responsive Email Designer. If you have not yet signed up for the Coffeecup email newsletter, be sure that you do. You will be among the first to know about what is available, AND they offer great discounts in it as well. (For example, yesterday's email gave a discount code for a 33% discount sitewide.)

So hang in there. It won't be long!
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including personal or group training for Site Designer, Web Form Builder and more via Zoom.
Email me at support@uscni.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 2601283 Photo

219 posts

I understand fast, good, cheap, but there is a lot of Hurry Up and Get excited and then continue to wait. We had a similar email at Labor Day.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.