VSD Current Version, Previewing Index...

User 484408 Photo

63 posts

I have created several text only pages with VDS along with the index page per Quick Start. How can I preview what has been done so far. When I go to the Preview tab, the index (home page I guess) is not listed and I cannot find it.
Any suggestions?
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Click the page you want to preview to bring it to the front and then click Preview. It seems the Preview button shows only the "active" window (page).
User 484408 Photo

63 posts

Thanks for your reply
Under Preview I cannot see the Index page or the template that I selected.
Is this normal
Should there be a file for "Index.html"?
User 104702 Photo

293 posts

As Adam said, the preview function shows the actual page you are working on. And yet it shows the complete website. If you have a 'home' button on the page you are working on, and if this button links to your home page (VSD calls it frontpage), then you can switch to it while previewing. One good advise for you: ALWAYS have a 'home' button on each and every page you make, so a visitor doesn't have to use the 'back' button of a browser to get there...
John van Hulst
User 484408 Photo

63 posts

John your reply was very helpful.

Perhaps I did something incorrectly. When I load the project there is a list of the files I was working on. Thoes are the text files and I can view them in the right panel.

I do not see an index page or what might be considered to be a home page. I started this in the Quick Start of VSD, selected a Template to work on and filled in the various fields with text.

Should I repeat the process or am I missing something?
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

The index/home page will be whichever page has the "Front page" box checked on the Page window options:
http://www.coffeecuphelp.com/adam/images/VSD_Frontpage2.jpg
One page is always checked and can be the only one at a time. If you check the box on another page, it magically becomes the index page.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.