vsd 59R - Post ID 6617

User 471486 Photo

7 posts

i keep getting an error message when i try upload my site. i have no idea what to do to fix this. i a new to this, is there anyone that can help me please.

Thanks.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Hi Ralph. If you could type in here what the error says, that could help out a lot.

Also, be sure to check if your version is up to date. In the Help -> About section of the main menu, it will tell you if it's version 5.9.4 or earlier. I only mention this since changes to the uploading process have been made in the last few updates.
User 471486 Photo

7 posts

It says, "there was an error."

That is all it says, there is nothing else, no reason or anything. very confused. if i put images on my site, do i also have to add the files to my project by going settings, add files, browse and add them or just placing them on the page is fine.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Weird, I'm really not sure about the error. Maybe someone else will have more of a clue. :| You might have to contact CoffeeCup directly either through their online form or by phone, if you don't get a decent response in the forums.

If you're adding images to your pages with the Image Tool, you won't need to add them through the Add Files option in the menu. You would only have to add images that way if you had some not used in pages at all (like linking to full-size images from thumbnails on the page, for example).
User 471486 Photo

7 posts

thanks a mil for your reply. my site is www.ddesign.co.za
i am trying to start a business for part time web designers looking to make a few bucks but at the same time beat the rest of the market. my images don't show on the sit nor do my flash objects. i have sent a ticket to coffeecup and am waiting for a reply. how do i link thumbs to images that i don't have on a page.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Boy, that's a mystery as to why the files aren't there. It seems the jpgs & swf files were never uploaded. You could try uploading the files with another FTP app if the built-in one is giving you trouble. DirectFTP or CoffeeCup's Free FTP should do the trick. You would have to upload the contents of the folder created wherever you saved VSD's .vnu file (if you chose say project.vnu file, then there should be a project_website folder with it). Hope that made sense. :P
User 471486 Photo

7 posts

i just tried direct ftp and had no luck. i think i might have to give up. how long after you upload will it be on the web.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Should be there immediately. I'm curious how you designed the site though. For instance, how did you get a link to a flash file like this: "test_flash.swf?317338960"
Are you sure you uploaded files such as IMG_5.jpg? It should go in the /files folder. Does uploading with DirectFTP show any errors or can you see the files uploaded listed on the right side (remote server's files)? Hmmm... :|
User 471486 Photo

7 posts

no, when i did a flash, all i did was create it in another program and when i save it, it gives me the html code for it. then i go into coffeecup and make an html box and paste the code. then settings> ad files> find the .swf and add it.
when i used direct ftp, litrally nothing happened. no errors, no site, it wouldn't even give me an upload option. my email is ralphcarter@mweb.co.za if it is easier to converse.

thanks for the help thus far.
User 282670 Photo

3,940 posts

don't know if this makes a dif or not, but on ralphs page in the link above it says version 5.8.4 -- MyHome.html is version 5.9.4.
Either way MyHome.html has 2 sets of head tags and closing html tags, don't know why. maybe upgrade over the 5.8.4?
another thing I would try would be making sure your swf's are added using the add files like you did with the incredi-flash and missing images save it then use the ftp to upload it, if not direct ftp the filezilla or Coffeecup's free ftp. I would also add or ask if you maybe changed the coding, you have styles commented off, an html in a style not used. VSD doesn't put out files like this so I thought just in case I'm wrong.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.